Novice diver looking for 4/5-day trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flights first. (i would schedule more than 2 or 3 day though) Then you know the parameters of your visit. You have a bountiful selection of dive operators and places to stay. Choose a dive operation that has good feedback/reviews from rookie divers like you versus operators that focus on harder-core experienced divers. Use Scubaboard to find rookie friendly ops and double check with other travel sites..I like Tripadvisor. Establish email communications and ask lots of questions. If they are good and want your business they will be responsive. Check their reviews and reputation. I would stay in town unless laying on a beach is critical. Lots of great eating places and things to see in town imo. Getting personal guide/DM is a very, very, smart idea - at least for Day 1. ScubaBoard has almost too much info on Cozumel but I have found the recommendations to be spot on. You will have a great time. However, you will wish you gave yourself a couple more days as the diving is great and there are many things to do in the general area, like cenotes (snorkel) and Mayan temples. Be careful if you rent a moped...cops can 'ticket' you and accidents seem to be pretty common. I felt quite safe on Cozumel, safer than in many places in the USA, but always use common sense. The people were friendly and much more professional and efficient than many places in the world.

Dear OP,
if you are looking for a low hassle setup, check out Fiesta Americana for the AI. My son and I dove w Aldora, who picked us up at the FA pier every morning. Sites were five to ten minute boat rides away. It Was great! Aldora was outstanding for brand new certified diver....my son is 15 y.o. And was just certified a couple months before. This was his first dive trip. Cannot praise Adam and Rachel w Aldora enough for watching my son so well. Have fun!!!

Dear OP,
if you are looking for a low hassle setup, check out Fiesta Americana for the AI. My son and I dove w Aldora, who picked us up at the FA pier every morning. Sites were five to ten minute boat rides away. It Was great! Aldora was outstanding for brand new certified diver....my son is 15 y.o. And was just certified a couple months before. This was his first dive trip. Cannot praise Adam and Rachel w Aldora enough for watching my son so well. Have fun!!!

So, Fiesta Americana is open again? For a while there were some rumors on this board about the rates they would be charging when they reopened. Was it horrendously expensive?

So, Fiesta Americana is open again? For a while there were some rumors on this board about the rates they would be charging when they reopened. Was it horrendously expensive?

It is open. I picked 13 Jun 2015 for one night. Fiesta Americana on Cheaptickets is $299/night.

The Grand is $221.

Seems pricey to me.

It is open. I picked 13 Jun 2015 for one night. Fiesta Americana on Cheaptickets is $299/night.

The Grand is $221.

Seems pricey to me.

Three hundred bucks a night is way too pricey for me. YMMV.

If you want to stay in town and not worried about an AI I recommend Suites Bahia. Right on the water and Aldora's dock across the street. Before I got my apartment down there, we stayed there regularly. Very affordable. One hint is to not get the ocean view rooms. The afternoon sun gets really hot. We got the street view rooms. About 55 bucks a night and you are right down town. Just a thought.

Have used Dive with Martin twice. Both time have been fantastic. Dive master with you on every dive and very reasonable prices.

I second staying in town and diving with Tres Pelicanos. Been diving Coz annually for the last 12 years. Always stay at the Casa Mexicana in town and just started diving with Tres Pelicanos this past trip as our prior dive op changed management and went down hill (3P's is right around the corner from the Casa Mexicana). I say stay in town and enjoy the culture, great food and fellow divers.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 06:13 PM ----------

Someone said Fiesta Americana was $300 a night? Is Fiesta Americana Crazy? If I'm going to spend $300 a night I'm going to be somewhere far more exotic than Cozumel! That is INSANITY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom