Now THAT'S bouyancy control!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they should have locked arms and became as one! I guess that might take a little coordination (Left, Left, Left, Right, Left.)

Yabbutt you were warm and didn't have to pee so bad!!!!!

NOW try doing that while squeezing your nut$ in a dry suit!

Tehehe

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Yabbutt you were warm and didn't have to pee so bad!!!!!

NOW try doing that while squeezing your nut$ in a dry suit!

Tehehe

Its called "Shrinkage" ;-)

In any event, if you really dissect the original poster's video, there was the factor of coldwater (harder), but it also was deep instead of shallow (easier), with some forward motion instead of a float (easier). Also, the wreck's orientation was nearly perfectly level, which provides a great horizon reference (easier), and prevents any vertigo issues. It also looks like they had zero currents in the passages to deal with...still water is always easier.

I don't want to say that I'm not impressed, because he is obviously much better than your typical Resort Dive customer. I guess what it is that that he's performing at the level that I would personally expect anyone who's doing penetrations to be operating at. As such, he's merely "meeting my expectations". YMMV.

-hh

-hh once bubbled...
In any event, if you really dissect the original poster's video, ... Also, the wreck's orientation was nearly perfectly level, which provides a great horizon reference (easier), and prevents any vertigo issues.

The wreck in question is the HMCS Columbia, in Campbell River BC.

She doesn't sit level at all - she lists to her port side at an angle of about 35 degrees or so.

The video in question was shot going across her beam, so the camera is creating an optical illusion of it being level, but in fact, we were swimming up at an angle of ~30 degrees instead of level.

Otherwise, I would agree that this was not particularly difficult - just a nice simple swimthrough.

The video in question is of my wife, and I shot it.

-d

[post edited by David, so as not to derail this discussion... sorry]

Oh no! Not again!!!:D

This is a first for me; I belong to 3 or 4 different forums, but am normally a lurker. But...

I wanted to say "thanks" to those complimentary of my diving in the video. And Jimmie, thanks for the nice compliment. I swear that the next time you are near my video camera, I'll wave "bye" to you too. <grin> BTW, haven't seen you out diving. Where've you been?

Like my hubby said, the Columbia is fairly deep and has a pretty good list to her. Going on any swimthrough that goes across her beam can be an adventure if you're not careful.

Someone said that this kind of buoyancy is easy. I agree. But I also know that it did take some very conscious practice on my part. Keeping track of my gauge and depth, and forcing myself to hold to one foot +/- at certain depths helped. When I teach, I call it "proactive buoyancy" or being aware of where you will be before you get there.

That along with learning to multitask (shooting video) helped me accelerate my learning curve quite a bit. Video demands a steady finning stroke with very controlled buoyancy or your picture looks like crap.

In any case, I appreciate the kudos. If you could see me diving my doubles these days, you'd see a whole other diver. I'm on dive 15 or so with them on, and we'll just suffice it to say that I'm not quite as dialed in on doubles as I am on a singles rig. But I'm getting there...it's the proactive buoyancy thing. Once I get the hang of how my wing behaves it'll be just like my single rig diving.

Dive safe and have fun!
laurynn

Laurynn, you rock! :)

jbd once bubbled...
that kind of bouyancy control is not really that hard to learn.

Requirements are:

1.) Proper weighting

2.) Proper trim

3.) Consistent, relaxed respiratory pattern

4.) Focus on the task at hand
I agree, plus practice, and motivation to look that good when you dive. I think that most divers don't ever see it, so they don't have someone to learn from or mimic.

I agree that buoyancy control requires several other things to be dialed in first. Unfortunately, I think it's really hard to have that kind of buoyancy control if you are consistently overweighted, and if you don't learn and practice proper trim. In addition I honestly think that most divers don't have any sense of what effect a deep breath can really have on their buoyancy, probably as a result of being overweighted and not diving with horizontal trim.

Ahhh, the Columbia. My first wreck. I miss her so. And indeed, the deck is canted at a nice angle down to port, I believe, making your perspective on swimthroughs a bit off kilter. At least it was for me.

Margaret

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom