Number of Dives vs. Dive Hours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish:
Of course it would be canonical, until proven otherwise. Nice term, that, canonical. Always wondered about its origin, any idea where it comes from? :D
Hmm... Don't rightly know from whence it came, but I think the occasionally-sighted disparaging usage probably originated with the Nikonian school of photographers of the mid-to-late 20th century.

Hmm... just had a thought... Do you think that the reason Nikon bodies seem to be so popular for underwater photography is that the DIR-influenced crowd was upset that so many of Canon's great lenses are only available... in *white*? :eyebrow:

And to lean over and try to grasp the Great Brass Ring of On-Topic-ness as I whirl by: Personally, my custom log pages prominently display both total number of dives and also total bottom time. If anyone ever checks my logs, I'll let them decide which to care about. Unless you're a statistical outlier (50 dives with 500 hours dive time, or 1000 dives with 100 total hours), I don't think anyone will likely care much one way or the other (and if you're so close to some limit as to pass one test and fail the other, you're going to get to have a whole 'nother philosophical debate).

Back
Top Bottom