Nurse Shark Attack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did you go to a private clinic vs a hospital? Is that just how it's done in Mexico?

Public Hospital = Social Security Hospital = Your LAST resort for care if you CAN't afford anything else. (And I don't know that they will take someone without MX Social Security?)

Private Hospital /Clinic = Where you go if you care about the care.

In Mexico, people buy private insurance so they don't have to go to SS hospital.

Why did you go to a private clinic vs a hospital? Is that just how it's done in Mexico?

They just said they were calling ambulance, assumed taking me to hospital. Cant complain because I received excellent care.
Was a little shocked when I walked out and realized was basically in a little shop area downtown. Cozumel International Clinic by the way

They just said they were calling ambulance, assumed taking me to hospital. Cant complain because I received excellent care.
Was a little shocked when I walked out and realized was basically in a little shop area downtown. Cozumel International Clinic by the way

Well that is the other deal. Ambulances have crashed trying to beat each other to a call. Get there first and steal the patient, get paid.

You ended up at the Hyperbaric Chamber in the SSS network. Probably a good choice.

Why I love Dave...

We have seen photos of the wound…not a big deal...

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Sorry, made me laugh...

...also why these incidents should be called shark 'bites', not 'attacks' ... but then again, I didn't get the nickname Sharky because I'm a catfish advocate :D

Again, glad you're 'OK'......Would---or did--DAN ever kick in???.......

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 11:07 AM ----------

Why I love Dave...

Sorry, made me laugh...

...also why these incidents should be called shark 'bites', not 'attacks' ... but then again, I didn't get the nickname Sharky because I'm a catfish advocate :D

LOL,......'everything's relative'..............

Again, glad you're 'OK'......Would---or did--DAN ever kick in???.......
Trip insurance coverage might. Dive accident coverage should not because this was not a "Covered Diving Accident" (i.e. it did not occur during a recreational dive).

Trip insurance coverage might. Dive accident coverage should not because this was not a "Covered Diving Accident" (i.e. it did not occur during a recreational dive).

The highest level of Dan insurance includes travel insurance also.

page 23 of the Dan Insurance Handbook, it does state only available for the preferred plan.

If an Insured Person incurs charges for treatment of Injury due to a non-diving Accident that occurs outside his or her
Home Country, and is at least 50 miles / 80 km from the
primary residence, United States Life will pay the benefits
described below subject to the terms and limitations.
Covered Charges
means eligible charges that are for Medically Necessary services, supplies, care, or treatment for such Injury. The accident must occur while Coverage is in force and while the Insured Person is on a trip that is more than 50 miles / 80 km from his or her primary residence and for recreational purposes only. The charge incurred as a result of the accident must be incurred within 365 days of the accident.
Such services, supplies, care or treatment must be prescribed, performed or ordered by a Physician and include medical, surgical, and emergency dental care, professional nursing, hospital, X-ray, ground ambulance services
and prosthetic devices. Charges for such services, supplies, care or treatment must be Reasonable and Customary.

United States Life will not pay for charges in excess of the
maximum shown in the Certificate Schedule.

Here is the link.

http://media.dan.org/handbook.pdf

$4300.00 dollars later I left. We dive Cozumel twice a year...
Got DAN dive insurance or similar? Which plan? I'd still file a claim and read the benefits and exclusions of whichever you have to look for coverage. Even if your regular medical plan pays most, DAN might pay the rest.

Someone at the chamber said people were feeding it lionfish
That'd be my guess.

No one said that.
But you can hear anything.

Incorrect. Correct answer depends on which plan. All three DAN dive insurance plans cover Snorkeling/Skin Diving but only two of those cover Other Dive Injury Medical Expense than Decompression Illness Expense. The top Preferred Plan additionally inclused $10,000 for Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage Occurring outside home country.

More info at www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

The highest level of Dan insurance includes travel insurance also.
Incorrect. $10,000 for Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage Occurring outside home country is not the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom