NYC dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pilotfish made a great suggestion. Before you take off for an extended trip with new gear please put it all together in the pool. I know Pan Aqua will let you return gear that does not work for you.

Also… consider the kind of BC you are interested in. If you are looking for a BP/W set up or just a back-inflated bc say the TransPac II consider a shop that sells these items. If you want a jacket style bc then any of the shops mentioned will serve you well.

Please do not rent fins. Buy fins and booties that work together. Do you need a mask fitted with special lenses? Get them before you go.

Good luck.

rje634:
Jump on the PATH and check out Hoboken Dive Center, I've be in there a few times and they were very easy to talk to. Check out there website.
http://www.gohdc.com/

I use Blue Water Divers which has shops in Rochelle Park and Ramsey NJ.
http://www.bluewaterdivers.com

If you want to get best service, go to Hoboken, never to Blue Water Divers. They been good at opening but become a worst shop ever. They rip you off on everything.

Tollie:
Pilotfish made a great suggestion. Before you take off for an extended trip with new gear please put it all together in the pool. I know Pan Aqua will let you return gear that does not work for you.

Also… consider the kind of BC you are interested in. If you are looking for a BP/W set up or just a back-inflated bc say the TransPac II consider a shop that sells these items. If you want a jacket style bc then any of the shops mentioned will serve you well.

Please do not rent fins. Buy fins and booties that work together. Do you need a mask fitted with special lenses? Get them before you go.

Good luck.

I have everything but the BC/Reg/Octo/Computer. I think the BC is going to surpass the weight limitations on the airline I'm flying (with the rest of my gear) so I think I'm going to opt for the reg/computer this trip and get the BC next time when I haven't choosen to fly a cheapie airline.

wanderlustgal:
I have everything but the BC/Reg/Octo/Computer. I think the BC is going to surpass the weight limitations on the airline I'm flying (with the rest of my gear) so I think I'm going to opt for the reg/computer this trip and get the BC next time when I haven't choosen to fly a cheapie airline.

Um, reg, bc, octo and computer IS everything :)

pilot fish:
Um, reg, bc, octo and computer IS everything :)

Ok, what I have is fins/booties/wetsuit/mask/snorkle. all the little things but you still need them.

pilot fish:
Why didn't you buy the 1 mil gloves at the dive shop where you were? Where did you buy your gloves?

They only had one brand of 1.5mm gloves. They were made by ScubaPro and the price was 32.99. The reason why I didn't buy them was that the XS was too small (tight) and the S was not comfortable.

The 3mm Scuba pro fit perfectly..but I couldn't move my fingers.

My Shopping List this month:
Tusa X-Pert Zoom
Ripcurl Surfing Wetsuit
Dacor Tri-View Purge Mask
Suunto Mosquito
Suunto Mosquito Interface (Not Working)
Mares Boots.

Missing:
Knife
Gloves
Horn (50 bucks??)
GPS Unit (Ordered from UK)

Total spent ~600.
GPS ~450

Anxiety to try them all in the water... priceless

wanderlustgal:
Ok, what I have is fins/booties/wetsuit/mask/snorkle. all the little things but you still need them.

Make sure that wherever you buy your life-support dive gear [bc, computer, reg] you get a mfg warranty. If you can afford it, it is wise to have your own gear because rental gear is not the safest. What's good about Pan Aqua in NYC is that you can try the stuff out in the large pool next door.

BikerManiac:
They only had one brand of 1.5mm gloves. They were made by ScubaPro and the price was 32.99. The reason why I didn't buy them was that the XS was too small (tight) and the S was not comfortable.

The 3mm Scuba pro fit perfectly..but I couldn't move my fingers.

My Shopping List this month:
Tusa X-Pert Zoom
Ripcurl Surfing Wetsuit
Dacor Tri-View Purge Mask
Suunto Mosquito
Suunto Mosquito Interface (Not Working)
Mares Boots.

Missing:
Knife
Gloves
Horn (50 bucks??)
GPS Unit (Ordered from UK)

Total spent ~600.
GPS ~450

Anxiety to try them all in the water... priceless

By horn are you talking about the duck quacker that attaches to your inflator hose? I bought one and a week later took it back for an exchange [ got a rattle tube] after a lot of divers told me that those things are a pain in the hind area. It is also another failure point on your inflator hose.

pilot fish:
Make sure that wherever you buy your life-support dive gear [bc, computer, reg] you get a mfg warranty. If you can afford it, it is wise to have your own gear because rental gear is not the safest. What's good about Pan Aqua in NYC is that you can try the stuff out in the large pool next door.

An experience with ill-fitting rental gear was why I was wanting to finally fork over the dough for my own stuff. I'mjust amazed at the discrepancy in prices between the LDS and the internet. But I'm not very savvy on the equipment so I need someone to talk to in person about stuff. If I buy locally I can only afford to do a piece at a time whereas on-line they have nicely priced packages.

Stingray Divers is good if you are talking to the owner, otherwise you are talking to a paintball kid who doesn't know a lot about scuba.

Back
Top Bottom