NYC diver seeks dutch springs buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there with my buddy for our open water cert. on oct 4th and 5th.........Im in NYC area too, anybody want to take a rookie along?

Well guys and gals. I'm out here, and am going to be diving every weekend as long as the weather holds out. This weekend has good tides for an afternoon dive. We'd want to be in the water at 1PM Saturday, or 1:30PM Sunday.

I'd want to meet at exit 64 of the LIE at 11AM sat. or 11:30AM Sun.

If you all want to arrange something between you, and meet me, I'd be glad to get you the rest of the way there, and brief you on the dive. If anyone is really new, they are welcome to stick with Jen and I for the dive as well.

I'd wait until at least Wednesday to make solid plans, so you can be sure the forecast is good.

Keep me posted.

Scott

On a bad day you'll get some one foot waves and some surge.
That's not bad at all. Just checking, since I've heard horror stories about divers losing half their gear on NJ shore dives, and surge at one site so strong that it moves you a good 10' at depth with every wave.

I don't think I can do Saturday, but Sunday is perfect for me. Anyone else in? I may be able to pick up one or 2 of the NYC people on the way out. Depending on if any of my buddies are coming.

I'm dying to check out some new locations besides Dutch!

What type of exposure should I bring? Usually use a 7 mil with hood and gloves at Dutch.

About how far out is exit 64 from the city? Been a long time since I've been out hat way.

If not either is good for me to do Dutch a maybe check out Round Valley. Can't give anyone a ride Saturday, though, I'll already be out in Easton.

grunzster - if you have space and can pick me up in the city or in the bronx (whichever is easier) then I'd like to join on Sunday! If not I will be in DS with another buddy...anyone is free to join us

city would be a lot easier since it's on the way, just have to get times together, so we can be at that exit by 11:30

if it falls apart I'd be into meeting you Dutch!

red Explorer sport covered with scuba and pathetic Rangers stickers!

Hey everyone,

We'll need to watch the weather, as Saturday is actually looking a little better right now. We'll see how that goes as the week goes on.

This time of year, the ocean is warmer than Dutch Springs. We'll only be going down between 20-25 ft depending on how far out you go. You'll be comfortable in your 7mil/hood/gloves.

If the traffic is light, which it should be on a Saturday morning, you'll need a little less than an hour to get from the Midtown Tunnel to exit 64. Remember that you have tides to deal with, so leave yourself plenty of extra time. If we get there early, I can show you some other dive sites, and where to get fills.

On a good day the water conditions are much calmer on the North Shore. South Shore diving here is more like what you get in Jersey, where you're doing surf entries right into the Atlantic. To give you an idea, my avatar pic is me looking out over the water before a night dive at the exact place I'm taking you. Pretty sweet, huh?

The weather just may cooperate. It looks like Sunday will be the better day now.

I cannot make it Saturday, I'm out of town.

Grunzter - as for Sunday (if the dive is on that day) I have to play by ear. Will keep you all posted, thanks!

I can't do Saturday either. I'll be too far away to make it out that early.

If anyone's doing Dutch or anywhere out in that area though, I'll be right in Easton, just 10 min away from Dutch.

Let me know where to pick you up if you want to do Sunday. I'm thinking maybe 9:30 - 10:00 that leaves us a little extra time in case of traffic, etc.

Crap- Now the whole weekend is looking like a washout :upset:

If the weather unexpectedly clears and you want to go on short notice, PM me the night before or early that morning and I'll check.

Unlike Dutch Springs, the weather being bad will "really" affect the quality of the dive, and you guys would probably be better off waiting. If you make the long drive it will be a letdown if it gets ruined.

Having said that, try your best to get out with us at least once before the weather sets in. We are most likely moving out of state this winter, and can show you some really nice local dives before we go. Next spring will be too late to go with us.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom