Nylon or bungee straps ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMBL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks,

I hope to dive my Force Fin Pro XXXL next month for the 1st time. Got them 2nd hand, but never used in the original cardboard box, in Italy, during 2022 second semester. It was a true bit of luck.

Alas, 2023 wasn't so good a vintage as far as diving is concerned, for me at least. Now, I've got everything to go with them : combat boots, a double checked dry suit, and a trip planned, to dive wrecks in the Var next February.

Just one thing though : those fins are fitted with a nylon strap. The pair of Force Fin Pros I've been diving wet for some years have a bungee straps. I'd like to know which kind of straps you prefer, and why ? Stated otherwise : which are the pros and cons of each system ?

Thank you for your help and best of luck while diving in 2024.

I prefer bungees. Have tried both but find the bungees easier to use. I was lucky to find a second hand pair of excelletators, really looking forward to try them out!

I use the straps, but for the diving you do you might be better off with the more secure bungee.
I dive warm water. A lot of the time someone will tap me on the shoulder letting me know the straps of my Original FFs have disengaged from my barefoot heel and are flapping in the breeze. The FFs fit so well and are designed so efficiently that while the fins are pushing you along they are also pushing themselves securely onto your feet.
They are easy to pack, easy to walk in, easy to kick and comfortable. They are reef friendly, but maybe not so great in big current or pushing a big load.
And the best part is you can wiggle your toes!

I have both the nylon straps, and the bungees. I like both for different applications. With my XXXL fins and dry suit I prefer the straps. They are more secure for moving around with something like a combat boot on your foot.

However, with my wetsuits, warmer water and booties, I prefer the bungees.

I use Pros, Excellerators and Extra Force. My XXXLs are Pros.

Once in the water, it makes no difference.

I once lost a tan delta Extra Force getting back in the boat from the sea. The bungee had gotten loose and the fin released as my foot left the water. That doesn’t happen with the straps!

I was lucky to find a second hand pair of excelletators, really looking forward to try them out!

I bet you want to try them out ! Lucky you !

I use the straps, but for the diving you do you might be better off with the more secure bungee.
I dive warm water. A lot of the time someone will tap me on the shoulder letting me know the straps of my Original FFs have disengaged from my barefoot heel and are flapping in the breeze. The FFs fit so well and are designed so efficiently that while the fins are pushing you along they are also pushing themselves securely onto your feet.

As I've said, I've using a pair of Force Fin Pros for some years now, I utterly agree.
They are easy to pack, easy to walk in, easy to kick and comfortable. They are reef friendly, but maybe not so great in big current or pushing a big load.
And the best part is you can wiggle your toes!

As far as big current is concerned, last summer, I was confronted with big current in la Seyne sur Mer for about a week. Dived several times with a couple who made fun of my fins. You know that kind of guys : talking without knowing nor thinking... Well, I was always ahead of them, although I dove my chest mount CCR, when they were diving OC single tank. I was bulkier (I'm already 6ft something, more than 200 pounds) and carrying more gear. Still, I was quicker. There was a mistake somewhere I guess, but not on my part.

I have both the nylon straps, and the bungees. I like both for different applications. With my XXXL fins and dry suit I prefer the straps. They are more secure for moving around with something like a combat boot on your foot.

That will be my configuration exactly. Thank you for the info.

That will be my configuration exactly. Thank you for the info.
Awesome! I just scored on a set of Tan Delta Excellerators w. whiskers! Can't wait to get them in hand!
Oh the journey those fins have to make to get wet again!

Awesome! I just scored on a set of Tan Delta Excellerators w. whiskers! Can't wait to get them in hand!
Oh the journey those fins have to make to get wet again!

Santa Claus was generous ! You must have been very well behaved. :p

Back
Top Bottom