Nylon or Polypropylene webbing for BP harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's good information to know - thanks. In hindisight there has to be a reason the industry standard seems to be nylon webbing. Nonetheless, I am still curious about the abrasion resistance properties of polypropylene. The main reason I am interested in this material is its lack of stretching when wet.

Paul

...and I have also found, from various sources, that polypropylene has a much lower tensile strength then nylon webbing of the same proportions. But for a BP harness 900lbs should suffice (please correct me if I am incorrect in this assumption). The main concern would be, as Uncle Pug pointed out, is the abrasion that the webbing is subjected to from the BP slots.

Nylon stretches, IIRC, about 15-20% when wet. This isn't the whole story though.

A stretch rating refers to how much a fiber is stretched when it's at its breaking point. Being 2" nylon webbing has a breaking strength on the order of 5,000 lbs, you can imagine there isn't much stretch when it's weighted down with 40 pounds above ground, and maybe 2 or 3 underwater.

A tank cam strap, on the other hand, requires a large amount of force across the webbing.. this is why you get the cam strap wet before buckling the tank. Get it wet and stretch it a bit across the tank to strap it down tightly.

Polypro doesn't stretch nearly as much as nylon when wet, but you have to realize that at the small amount of force being put on the webbing underwater will mean there is effectively no stretch. The stretch is proportional to the amount of force on the fibers, so it's nothing to worry about.

Good nylon webbing is fairly soft, and I imagine it's worth it to spend the extra $5 to get the good seat belt quality stuff. There are no practical advantages to polypro, and it does have *far* less abrasian resistance than nylon.

As Johnnythan pointed out poly can be "prickly"...

Especially as it begins to breakdown from UV light and the little fibers start poking up.... do you really want porcupine straps? :D

The stiffness of the weightbelting for straps is a positive feature. It aids in donning and doffing as well as keeping the straps from slipping off your shoulders.

Johnnythan - thanks again for the great info, you explained the stretch rating very well and it makes sense that the stretch is proportional (?) to the force applied to the strap.

I guess overall it may not be worth the time and effort to try polypropylene as you guys have pointed out that there is no real advantage over nylon.

Thanks,
Paul

What are some inexspensive sources for nylon webbing? Other than Reef Scuba (which seems high to me) I have found zilch!

jonnythan once bubbled...

Good nylon webbing is fairly soft, and I imagine it's worth it to spend the extra $5 to get the good seat belt quality stuff. There are no practical advantages to polypro, and it does have *far* less abrasian resistance than nylon.

Uck. I absolutely hate that softer seat belt webbing. I like my webbing as stiff as possible. I have used the softer stuff, in fact I have 90ft of it at my house, and I could not stand it. It rolled when doffing and donning, it bunched up in the armpit area, it would not hold the drings well. Yuck.

It is now used for misc projects around the house and yard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom