O-ring removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the o-ring from the camera housing without damaging either?

Hi tc rain:

It depends on how inaccessable the o-rings are. For the hard to removed ones on my DSLR rig I use a 2" dental pich with a plastic handle and curved metal pick. You slide the pick under the o-ring (being careful not to nick it), and gently lift it out of its channel. You can buy these picks at most grocery or drug stores.

For the easier to remove rings, put your thumb and forefinger on the ring, and pull your fingers towards each other. This will create a little "rise" in the ring that you can then roll out of the channel. You want to stretch the rings as little as possible.

Hope this helps,

Dan

The best methods vary with the o-ring and groove design.

I don't know if it is the best way, but what I use on an Olympus PT-016 is my DAN card. Thinner than most credit cards, but still thick enough to pop the o-ring out. I have also used a thinner than normal guitar pick, but misplaced it somewhere. In a pinch, I've even used a blister packed medicine tablet -- one from the corner of the big sheet, so it had rounded edges. So far these methods have worked without problems. The o-ring in the camera has done about 300 dives without a flood, and has been removed about 150 times.

I'm not a fan of either o-ring picks (too easy to nick the o-ring) or the squish it in your fingers method (too easy to stretch it). On O-rings that are hard to remove, you don't really have a good alternative to the o-ring pick, though.

Someone on another forum suggested a guitar pick. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Thanks ...

The deal with "O" rings is that you don't want to nick or stretch them. It's also a good policy not to twist the "O" ring as you re-install it. And of course, the groove must be just as clean and free of fibers or particles as the outer surface where the "O" ring seals against the housing.

Metal barrettes work very well to. & the end is wider than a dental pick or the like so it's less likely to nick the o-ring.

Paula

What is the best way to remove the o-ring from the camera housing without damaging either?

use with GREAT ease the corner of a credit card OR a flat toothpick......has worked for me since '95---ie no flooded cameras.......

I use a wooden toothpick

I use the corner of the lube tube...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom