PT-059 Manual says to remove o-ring when flying.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never take the O-ring out and rarely lube it. I don't advise doing this, and probably have to change my o-rings a little more often (~ every 150 dives) as a result. But I've never had any kind of problem with leaving it in during flying. Like others have said, bring it in your carry-on, keep the door loosely open/unlocked.

You don't advise taking out and lubricating the O ring?

No, you've got it reversed - I don't advise NOT doing it. (I don't take it out/lubricate...but others should).
I didn’t remove one from a Canon housing, the O-ring got to dry and kinked causing a total camera flood. Now I lightly lub the O-ring every time I open the housing. If I don’t have time, I don’t take the camera.

I advise all housing users, especially the PT-59 and my own Fantasea housings (all made by AOI in China) do this.......

Take the o-ring off . After cleaning (don't stretch it!) apply a tiny amount of proper lubricant and put in a plastic bag inside your housing.

You can then fly with it, you'll see it when you arrive and install checking it slides closed easily before diving.

I had a Fantasea housing customer CALL ME from the Caribbean after flying with his housing sealed and couldn't get it open :( He put it in the refrigerator for maybe 30 minutes and voila', it opened :)

Any COLORED o-rings like on the Olympus housings, Sea and Sea BLUE strobe and Inon strobe YELLOW battery door o-rings, etc. should ONLY use SILICONE approved lubricant.

If you use regular Dow Corning lubricant meant for BUNA o-rings it could cause them to swell or degrade and leak !!!!!

My Fantasea housing has a BACK BUNA o-ring and WHITE inside flat GASKET sealing the door like a flat GoPro housing. Only the back BLACK BUNA o-ring needs lubed so it will close easily and not twist, roll or pinch. The from flat WHITE "gasket" never needs lubed or removed as the face of the clear housing door simply "crushes" it.

This is one reason I really like the Fantasea housings.

Unfortunately the AOI Olympus PT-59 / 60 housings only have a rear door SILICONE o-ring. But if taken care of and lubed with the proper SILICONE o-ring grease work fine.

Good luck !

DH

IMG_6134.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom