PT-059 Manual says to remove o-ring when flying.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChainDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The manual for my PT-059 says to remove the o-ring when flying because the housing might not open after the flight.

Anyone not remove the o-ring and have this issue?

Thanks.

I live in Colorado and once didn’t remove the oring from an Olympus housing. When getting to the boat, found it difficult to open the housing. The lower pressure at home created a slight vacuum in the housing. I always remove the oring before boarding the plane and after I am home and have rinsed the housing.

It might matter if you are carrying your housing in the pressurized cabin in a carry-on vs having it in the non pressurized checked baggage zone.

I don't have a PT-059.....but on my Fantasea housing, I've never had the "non opening issue"........but I most definitely always remove and replace the o-ring to assure that it's properly inspected, lubed and "set" once I am at my destination. After that I just leave it alone for the trip and never had any issues.

I worried about deforming (stretching out) or damaging the o-ring during removal so I left it in BUT I did not close the case all the way. The closing dial was only rotated halfway around because I knew there would be a problem if I closed it. PT-059 was always in carry on.

I worried about deforming (stretching out) or damaging the o-ring during removal so I left it in BUT I did not close the case all the way. The closing dial was only rotated halfway around because I knew there would be a problem if I closed it. PT-059 was always in carry on.
4pw07x.jpg

Camera housing door is detachable, I leave the door off. Yes, I've had trouble before I started doing that. I also leave my lights unscrewed past the o-rings. I find the o-rings work better if they're not continuously under pressure for weeks at a time.

And why keep the oring compressed unnecessarily anyway, leave it out
mine sit figure 8 in a sealed bag inside the housing, groove clean ready

and I use so little lube you can't see it

I never take the O-ring out and rarely lube it. I don't advise doing this, and probably have to change my o-rings a little more often (~ every 150 dives) as a result. But I've never had any kind of problem with leaving it in during flying. Like others have said, bring it in your carry-on, keep the door loosely open/unlocked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom