O2 Tank in Ottawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get an O2 tank (jumbo D cylinder) and reg at a reasonable price here in Ottawa. I have an old O2 tank that needs a hydro...anyone know where I can bring it to be hydroded. Thanks

Last time I got tanks hydro'd I got em done at Dive Tech in Mallorytown. The cost for Hydro, tumbling and O2 cleaning was comparable to what an Ottawa shop charges for hydro only. Cleaning is extra. For a new bottle and reg try Vital Aire in Ottawa. They are who supplies the dive stores with O2 for nitrox blending. Ask to talk to Lino.

I get my argon, helium and O2 from Vitalaire. They will rent you a tank, not sell it to you. Lino has been promoted and is no longer dealing directly with customers. I've also heard that new diving customers looking for O2 and He are having a hard time setting up accounts, but this is third party info.

Kevin

Kevin Ripley once bubbled...
I get my argon, helium and O2 from Vitalaire. They will rent you a tank, not sell it to you. Lino has been promoted and is no longer dealing directly with customers. I've also heard that new diving customers looking for O2 and He are having a hard time setting up accounts, but this is third party info.

Kevin

Why are they having a hard time?

I think Vitalaire does not want responsibility for someone's basement blending station exploding. About a month ago there was some talk about this. As far as I know they will allow you to purchase O2 and He with proof of gas blending certifiactions. I could be wrong though.

But, if you are just looking for a jumbo D, and a reg like those in a DAN O2 kit I am pretty sure they do sell those. At least the regs if I'm not mistaken. If not find a DAN instructor and purchase it through them.

To answer your price question, you will be hard pressed to get one anywhere for a reasonable price.

Because as an individual in Ontario you will likely need a prescription to get a small tank of O2, regulator, and fills from Vital Air.

I am not even sure if you were to purchase the DAN O2 tank and reg where you could get it 'officially and legally' filled in Ontario as an individual. Can anyone comment on this or have they tried getting an O2 tank filled by Vital Air without a script?

I don't think a dive shop is supposed to fill a tank with 100% O2 if someone just walks in, but I am sure this is done all the time and probably should be if it is to be used to treat a potential dive accident victim.

pufferfish once bubbled...
Because as an individual in Ontario you will likely need a prescription to get a small tank of O2, regulator, and fills from Vital Air.

I am not even sure if you were to purchase the DAN O2 tank and reg where you could get it 'officially and legally' filled in Ontario as an individual. Can anyone comment on this or have they tried getting an O2 tank filled by Vital Air without a script?

I don't think a dive shop is supposed to fill a tank with 100% O2 if someone just walks in, but I am sure this is done all the time and probably should be if it is to be used to treat a potential dive accident victim.

I have been dealing with Vitalaire for many years, buying both USP Oxygen and Helium (argon and nitrogen too) and have never had any problems at all. When originally setting up my account, I had to show some certification to prove that I knew the difference between a jelly donut and a 8.5 cubic meter cylinder of compressed oxygen... and how to manage the safe transportation of each!

While the records may show that there is a need for a script, have not run into this as a challenge since 1992! The bad ol'days

Doppler

Try Sands Medical in Brockville, they sell O2 bottles and first class regs(dry) as well.

Vital air will sell you the stuff if you are a certified blender as will praxair, BOC and all the other guys. The only problem people will have filling Jumbo D's from the DAN kits are that they have green tops. In Canada and all the rest of the world (excluding our neighbours to the south) oxygen bottles have white tops. Any respectable outfit will suggest the top be painted white prior to filling. Prescriptions are not required even though technically oxygen is a drug. For hydros try Superior Safety on Bently. There is no need to pay the middle man to send it in for you.

Dive shop vs praxair fill of a d-cylinder......... guess which one does the nitrogen purge first, then seals the orifice and then puts the entire cylinder into a sealed plastic bag to prevent contaminants from getting on the valve?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom