Oahu scuba and kayak questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajim311

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, i will be heading to oahu with the family in september, and would like to do some diving and some kayaking. We will be staying on the north side at condos near turtle bay, so it looks like deep ecology is the closest shop to us. Has anyone had any experience with them? Does there boat leave from the north shore?
Also we want to rent some kayaks one day and would like to take them out to Mokolii i think its called or chinamans hat and hike around that island, has anyone done this? Is it worth it or should i just go to kailua which will be closer to where i will rent the kayaks from, i guess there are some islands out there too. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks, james

Right now the North Shore diving season is in full swing, so yes, Deep Ecology's little boat is plying the North Shore dive sites. That may change in September, though, as access to the North Shore generally gets less dependable after Labor Day. During the off-season, Deep Ecology's boat operates out of Waianae, in my experience. There are lovely sites there, too, so you'll still experience awesome diving. (There's also nothing stopping you from shore-diving the North Shore if conditions permit - you can rent tanks from the shop.) If Deep Ecology's boat is repositioned from the North Shore to Waianae while you're here, I suggest you meet your divemaster at the boat instead of joining up at the shop and riding out with him/her. That's because the shop may have pick-ups in Waikiki, which is a long ride. Give yourself some extra time in bed by driving yourself to the boat in a rental car - it's worth it, and I've never had my car broken into while parked at the harbor. Just don't leave any valuables in the vehicle.

I dove with Deep Ecology once, when we first moved to the island, and they were very nice. Tyler was our DM, and he was a good guide. Their boat is pretty small, but I liked the fact that it was propane-powered: good of them to make a 'green' effort. I've also rented the odd forgotten piece of gear from them when I've been shore-diving on the North Shore. All in all, I found them to be pretty decent.

I can't speak too much about kayak rental, but I've frequently seen people kayaking to Mokolii (Chinaman's Hat). There are guided tours you can take, or you can do it on your own steam. Sure, people walk around Mokolii or even climb it. There's a sandbar very close by where local folks like to hang out on kayaks/surfboards, drink beer and shoot the breeze. Be sure to visit the nearby macadamia nut farm - it's close to Kualoa Beach - or visit the nearby ranch, since you're in the neighborhood. You can also drive further down the windward side of the coast to kayak from Kailua or Lanikai to the Mokulua Islands, which are very pretty indeed. There's a sea kayak rental place very close to Kailua beach, so it's pretty convenient.

If you are staying at Turtle Bay, expect a 45min-1.5 hour drive to Kailua.
I have been shore diving Shark's Cove on the North Shore and I live in Kailua and at 6am on a Sat it is a good 45min.

That being said, I have not dove with Deep Ecology. I have only dove with Aaron's in Kailua. I like them and plus, I live in Kailua. Anyway, Kailua is a great place to grab a kayak from one of the many shops or even guys hanging out on the beach. Paddle over to the flat island, beach the kayak and take a look around. Not a very big island, but you can kayak surf some of the waves coming off the reef there.

Chinaman's hat is a poplar kayak destination but we have not been there yet. The park where you launch from can be rough from time to time and depending on the time of day, the currents go screaming through there, so be careful if you do not have experience.

There are plenty of good dive shops on the island, but not sure what the north is like in Sept....We have not been here long enough. Although we were here in Oct. and the North was getting big.

I suggest taking a day and driving into Kailua and renting a kayak. It is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, plus there are shops and food and a cool little town to hang out in when you are done. There is not a great deal to do in the area where Chinaman's hat is other than the Ranch. Plus, not a lot of fun hauling kayaks up to Chinaman's hat from Kailua, but everyone does it. Just personal preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom