Oahu Trip Report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar:
Well, like I said, I was much younger and fitter then.

Nowdays, if anyone asked me to do that again, I'd give them the "you're certifiably crazy" look, go sit back down on the couch and continue watching me some quality tv. :D

"Younger, fitter, sensible"... hey don't let that stop you...the main thing is to run the race...and not get passed by that guy wearing the geta and yukata ("Viking-man" and "Rainbow-man", ok; but not the clippity-clopping "Geta-man").

bluemagoo:
"Younger, fitter, sensible"... hey don't let that stop you...the main thing is to run the race...and not get passed by that guy wearing the geta and yukata ("Viking-man" and "Rainbow-man", ok; but not the clippity-clopping "Geta-man").

I almost spit out the water I was drinking when I pictured that in my mind :rofl: - the sad but true fact is that now I probably would get passed by "Geta-man".

chepar:
I almost spit out the water I was drinking when I pictured that in my mind :rofl: - the sad but true fact is that now I probably would get passed by "Geta-man".

No spitting/sneezing on the PC monitor -- although the little psychedelic dots are kinda pretty... You have no idea what it's like to have rounded Hawaii Kai and be dying like a soakin' rat coming back past the Waialae golf course, then hearing that clippity-clop closing in behind you...it's like "What's that sound?" and then looking back, doing a double-take, and going "What the ...!?" BUT he does take your mind off your pain 'cuz now, you're thinkin' of a zillion ways for him to pitch out and die.... Ask anybody who's finished the bottom third of the marathon; they'll know. Forget asking those front-running jackrabbits who are so skinny, you hope they win something so that now they can get a square meal...

bluemagoo:
You have no idea what it's like to have rounded Hawaii Kai and be dying like a soakin' rat coming back past the Waialae golf course, then hearing that clippity-clop closing in behind you...it's like "What's that sound?" and then looking back, doing a double-take, and going "What the ...!?" BUT he does take your mind off your pain 'cuz now, you're thinkin' of a zillion ways for him to pitch out and die.... Ask anybody who's finished the bottom third of the marathon; they'll know.

Ah, so some personal experience, huh? I'm still cracking up picturing this. I can't recall where I've heard about this guy before - but it's always been filed away in the "potential urban myth" drawer. So he really exists?

chepar:
Ah, so some personal experience, huh? I'm still cracking up picturing this. I can't recall where I've heard about this guy before - but it's always been filed away in the "potential urban myth" drawer. So he really exists?

Yep, he's real. Or at least he was 3yrs ago. I'm sure he got a cameo shot on somebody's TV news report or a special on the Honolulu Marathon; maybe he's on the tape/DVD they routinely make after each marathon.

p.s. Ok, he got mentioned in this 2001 article http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/Dec/10/ln/ln02a.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom