Oak Bay Roatan no longer accepting SSI cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard rumors like this about different agencies before, it's always turned out to be not true.

I sent them the following e-mail:

Dear sir/Madm:

There is a rumor circulating that you refuse to honor SSI certifications. I would like to know if this is true and if so, what are your reasons.

Sincerely,

Walter W.

I received the following response:

That is true. Unsolved business problems with SSI Latin America so we just deceided not to honor any SSI card..

To which I replied:

Thank you for your response. I'm afraid I don't understand why you are not accepting SSI certifications. Is it a problem with quality of training?

Sincerely,

Walter W.

They then responed:

No, Its a business realtions problem. Since it can not be resolved we have just deceided to not do business with SSI in any way which includes not taking SSI divers unless they also have a card from another agency....

I wrote:

A c-card merely tells you a diver is qualified to dive. It does help you determine who should and should not be diving based on training. It keeps your insurance premiums down. By recognizing a card from any agency, you are not doing business with that agency. All you are accomplishing by such an action is
lowering your customer base.

Sincerely,

Walter W.

I have not yet received a response.

I will not patronize a business that takes their anger out on innocent bystanders. I'm not going to risk my money staying at their resort. Who's to say they won't get into it with my certifying agency and punish me for it?

No. that's just unacceptable.

crab once bubbled...

Nude scuba diving can also be arranged for those who are interested.

Does SSI not offer that specialty?

I'll arrange a special class for couples and females and will arrange for special photos for the cards:wacko:

Not that I was planning to go there anytime soon, but being my only cert so far is from SSI, it sort of kills things. I guess I should get my next cert (AOW, etc) from another agency just to be safe then??.... that is just stupid. :upset:

No need.

Pay for the vacation using a credit card with a good customer protection policy.

Go to the resort, claim to know nothing about their policy. Take the class in order to be allowed to dive.

Come back home and dispute the charges for the vacation due to misleading adverstising.

A free vacation and a free C-Card for another agency.

Pure genius!

:)

Peter

pdoege once bubbled...
No need.

Pay for the vacation using a credit card with a good customer protection policy.

Go to the resort, claim to know nothing about their policy. Take the class in order to be allowed to dive.

Come back home and dispute the charges for the vacation due to misleading adverstising.

A free vacation and a free C-Card for another agency.

Pure genius!

:)

Peter
LOL :D That is one way around it... heh heh

I'm not sure what the dispute is but here is what I sent SSI/LA and what I received back. It doesn't say much but Oak Bay only says they will honor anything but SSI. I don't like being too nosy but I'd sure like to know what this one is about.

Sent to SSI/LA
> I recently contacted a dive resort in Roatan, Oak
> Bay Resort, and they informed us that they would not
> honor our SSI certifications because of a dispute with
> SSI/LA. What is going on? I do not want to get
> into your business but I also do not want to have to
> cross over to a different agency in order to do a dive
> vacation. As an SSI instructor I don't want to start telling
> students,check with the resort before you travel to see
> if they accept SSI certifications. I sincerly hope
> this issue gets resolved quickly.

Received from SSI/LA

> Unfortunately the facility you mentioned is no
> longer an SSI Authorized Dealer, but there are many
> others in that area that will be more than happy to
> serve your needs. Perhaps the fact that this
> facility would refuse to recognize the training and
> experience that you posses and have worked hard to
> share with others is a good indication of the kind
> of representation you can expect there. In an
> industry that is working hard to attract new divers
> and keep existing divers happy and coming back for
> more, there is simply no room for such
> unprofessional representation. Implementing negative
> and counterproductive policies that drive people
> away rather than bring them is certainly not the
> kind of representation SSI nor any other training
> agency would want.
>

Excellent professional response from SSI. Thanks lead_carrier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom