Oak Bay Roatan no longer accepting SSI cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,

If it is indeed a dispute between SSI and the resort, they should not be taking it out on divers.

It might be time for us to send them an email or phone call saying that because they don't recognize an internationally recognized divers certification card, then they will not have my business...even if I am not certified through SSI.

Knavey once bubbled...
It might be time for us to send them an email or phone call saying that because they don't recognize an internationally recognized divers certification card, then they will not have my business...even if I am not certified through SSI.
Look, if you're going to post in here you gotta play by the rules...

Calling for boycotts is Genesis' job. It's a regular, predictable thing, kinda like the sunrise every morning; we've come to look forward to them.

We used to joke about him wanting to boycott everything but air, and then he went out and bought his own compressor to boycott his LDS and, well, we can't say that anymore.

So please delete your post and wait for Genesis to call for the boycott, it's just a matter of time.

Please understand, there's a ton of :)s implied in this note!

Roak

*grumbles something about false starts*

O wretched is the soul,
That beats Genesis to the goal!

Ohhh, that was SO sweet.

:D

I recieved this note after I recieved the first one.

Please rest assured that there really is no 'dispute'. The dive center you mentioned is simply not an SSI Facility any longer, and there is no dispute as far as SSI is concerned. Our decision on that is reinforced by the type of behavior you described, and I guess it is clear that this Dive Center simply does not want your business. I can assure you that there are many other SSI Facilities in Roatan that DO want your business and will work very hard to insure your satisfaction and safety. They appreciate your support of SSI's philosophy on diver training and will uphold the same high standards that you insist on yourself. ...... Please let us know if we can help you in any way. We are here to serve you!
Very best Regards
Lauren
SSILA

Let's just read between the lines now, shall we? Oak Bay obviously must've done something that made SSI/LA decide to pull its accreditation. Oak Bay mgt, pissed off at that, decides to strike back by cutting their clientele to non-SSI divers.

I love SSI's reply. It's so diplomatic, yet cuts so deep.

Good reply from SSI/LA, it clears up some of the issues not mentioned on Rodales message board.

Funny how that works.

BTW, on Rodales there's a bunch of threads now running that are started by someone who claims to be "Gary" of Oak Bay. Who knows which one(s), if any, are authentic - but the attitude expressed in them appears to be identical to that of those who have managed to get a reply here....

It seems that the appropriate response to this is to see what we all, as divers, can do to make sure that Oak Bay is a very nice, quiet resort - quiet because it has no clientele!

that he does NOT take walk up business and that he states that the SSI card is NOT accepted at his resort before anyone books with him. If that is the case no-one would end up not being able to dive there after paying. HE says there are unresolved issues between his business and SSI. SSI says there is no unresolved issue. Sounds to me like the issue is unresolved.

That being said, it's his business and his RIGHT to do business with who he chooses. He and ONLY he can make that decision whether or not it's the right thing for him to do, just like you have the right to decide to stay at his resort or not.

I personally respect anyone that takes a stand on his principles over money.

Gr8fldiver once bubbled...
that he does NOT take walk up business and that he states that the SSI card is NOT accepted at his resort before anyone books with him. If that is the case no-one would end up not being able to dive there after paying. HE says there are unresolved issues between his business and SSI. SSI says there is no unresolved issue. Sounds to me like the issue is unresolved.

That being said, it's his business and his RIGHT to do business with who he chooses. He and ONLY he can make that decision whether or not it's the right thing for him to do, just like you have the right to decide to stay at his resort or not.

Principles are fine. This guy and his company are morons. Why would you cut off a potential revenue supply?? If he never resolves his issue with SSI, then he permanently loses his SSI dive clientele.

This is business 101. You don't punish a third party who happens to be your PAYING customer because you have a dispute with a supplier.

In addition to being a complete business fool, look at the PR that this is generating.

As a gun dealer, I've declined to make sales to some individuals that didn't sit right with me.

However, I find a "busisnessman" that carries on in a manner that negatively impacts otherwise uninvolved 3rd party persons to be acting childish at best.

As long as he takes steps to assure innocent persons aren't getting dumped on, he can feel free to cut off his nose to spite his face all he wants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom