Ocean water temps vs inland lake temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike:
However, if a dry suit is in the cards, it might impact the decision on which wetsuit to buy now...

You get the idea.

When I got My Bare suit I has a similar tought. If you consider the wetsuit as a bridge item there is no point in investing in a super premium wetsuit. My Arctic probably has 150 dives on it with no real signs of wear.

Pete

NJMike:
However, if a dry suit is in the cards, it might impact the decision on which wetsuit to buy now...

Given that it's October 1st today, if a dry suit is in the cards, it might be wise to by the drysuit first. Unless you don't plan on diving around here until next June.

:)

I'm trying to get 1 or 2 more days of diving in this month at Dutch Springs. Then I probably will wait for the spring...not sure when Dutch opens in the spring.

And that's if I can find a dive buddy!

I agree with many others... As a new "Dry suit weenie" I can't believe how comfortable it is in 45 degree F water...

I've been looking into the dry suit angle myself lately. I have seen that there are dry hoods available but what do you do about the rest of your face? Full-face mask?

NJMike:
Guys, thanks for the added comments. I suppose if there were no differences in cost, I'd consider a dry suit without a doubt.

But since I'll be getting ALL of my equipment over the next few months, I don't want to add up the total cost any more than I have to.

Everyone who owns a drysuit also owns a wetsuit or two. Get a 7mm. You will use it even if you own a drysuit. If nothing else you need a backup exposure suit for if you rip a seal on the drysuit. I have a drysuit and It is hardy worth the hassel if I'm only doing one beach dive and the weather is not bad. The 7mm suit should not cost to much. Locally could pick one up for $200 or less. (But I hear that outside of So cal the prices are higher for some reason.)

sjoliat:
I've been looking into the dry suit angle myself lately. I have seen that there are dry hoods available but what do you do about the rest of your face? Full-face mask?

Unless it's damn cold, it doesn't bother you. There really isn't that much exposed skin. I have heard, however, that ice divers put some sort of gel on their lips and on the rest of the exposed face. Correct me if I'm wrong...

-Nick

sjoliat:

How cold is the water? And how long will you stay down. If using a single tank you will only be in the water for an hour or so. So I doubt you'd need a full fase mask even under ice. In most "normal" places the water is in the high 40's and a normal "wet hood" is good enough

If your body is warm the blood will circulate and cary heat to the exposed areas. Thicker underware can keep the head and fingers warm.

sjoliat:

And in "abnormal places" like here it will get into the 30sF. It stings on the exposed skin for a moment but with a little numbing it's a non issue. In fairness last year was my first winter and it was a mild one, the coldest I saw was 37F.

A beanie under a 7mm drysuit wet hood keeps the rest of my head very comfortable.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom