Ocean water temps vs inland lake temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have:

Lycra tropical skin
Tri-weight Dive skin
3mm full wet
5mm full wet
7mm full semi-dry with hood
Bare Nex-Gen Dry suit

The ones I have used the most are:

Lycra and tri-weight for ocean (mostly Caribbean diving, 80+ degrees)
Dry suit for Lake and Quarry (50+ degrees at thermocline)

However, it is nice to have the choice if I need it. If the water is at 70-80 I may choose the 3 or 5 mm. I got the 7mm to see if it woul be as good as a dry suit. Nope, it isn't, although it does keep you warm.

Mike

Well, I have to pick one to start with. I won't be doing any ice diving. Dry suits are out as the first one.

I expect my diving season to be Apr 1 - Oct 31; inland lakes/quarries from NJ to VA, ocean diving from NJ to SC; depths - < 130', all no-decom.

But even with wetsuits the choices are many. My latest consideration, I forgot who suggested it, is to combine a wetsuit with something else underneath...he suggested a Pinnacle Cruise is only $142 at my LDS (I'm buying some other equipment so he's knocking 25% off the wetsuit).

I could get the Merino lined Elite, which is a 7/5 at $292, or the Cruiser which is 7/5 but not Merino lined, but then I could get the vest to go with it and still save money over the Elite.

So many choices. I'm diving today with them and will test dive the equipment but not the wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom