Oceanic Atom problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie,

Actually I am Thai and also live in Bangkok, just like you.

I plan to buy the Atom from the States with unauthorized dealer because I’m going to use the Atom in Thailand anyway, so no need of any warranty.

Is the Oceanic warranty internationally? Is there any authorized Oceanic dealer in Thailand? Can they take care of upgrading the Atom?

Thank a lot.

nratanachai:
Vie,

I plan to buy the Atom from the States with unauthorized dealer because I’m going to use the Atom in Thailand anyway, so no need of any warranty.

Is the Oceanic warranty internationally? Is there any authorized Oceanic dealer in Thailand? Can they take care of upgrading the Atom?

Thank a lot.

I know you are Thai—your name is a bit of a giveaway.

I’m not sure if the Oceanic warranty will be honoured by Oceanic outside the USA, but I would assume so.

There are two authorized Oceanic dealers in Thailand:

Oceanic Thailand
71/1 Sukhumvit 39, Watana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Phone: 0 2662 6715
Fax: 0 26626717
e-mail: oceanicthailand@loxinfo.co.th

Dive Collection
Karon, Muang, Phuket, Thailand 83100, Thailand
Phone: 076 330 800
Fax: 076 330 977
e-mail: divecollection@e-mail.in.th

The upgrading/replacement of Oceanic dive computers have to be done in San Leandro, CA, but the authorised dealers in Thailand CAN arrange to have it done—whether they will bother or not I cannot say for certain (they certainly have NOT been advertising the fact that upgrades have been available for sometimes); you would have to call them. IMHO you might have some difficulties convincing the authorized dealers (in Thailand) if you did not buy your Atom from them.

We just got set up with our new Oceanic stuff... and I'm glad we didn't get it a few months ago... The new atoms we have coming in later this week. Now that they fixed those 2 problems... it should be smooth sailing!

nratanachai:
Vie,

Thank a lot.

Why would you buy from an unauthorized dealer?? You must realize that since they are getting their product through gray market channels, the unit you get will virtually be guaranteed to have one of the two problems listed in this thread. That's paying money for something that is almost sure to be bad the day you get it?!

And there are dealers like us that can match the gray market prices and still get you a full warranty - and have the new current stock arriving - not the older units with the known issues??

scubatoys:
Why would you buy from an unauthorized dealer??

Agree with Larry. In fact, I’ve bought some gear from Scubatoys—very nice people to deal with and good price too.

scubatoys:
We just got set up with our new Oceanic stuff... and I'm glad we didn't get it a few months ago... The new atoms we have coming in later this week. Now that they fixed those 2 problems... it should be smooth sailing!

So you’re selling both Aeris and Oceanic? Interesting...I was under the impression that Oceanic didn’t like to have dealers pair the two brands.

As for the 2 Atom problems...I actually experienced a third problem where my Atom went into dive mode as the plane I was sitting in was coming in to land. It was about five minutes before landing and the depth shown was 2.7m, even though I was sitting quite a way above sea level. I had turned the water activation feature off, as well as the receiver/transmitter before boarding the plane and my Atom was in watch mode so I have no idea what caused the dive mode to activate. When I got off the plane, my Atom was still “diving” and I ended up having to take the battery out, and waiting for fifteen minutes before reinstalling, to get the Atom back to normal.

Vie:
So you’re selling both Aeris and Oceanic? Interesting...I was under the impression that Oceanic didn’t like to have dealers pair the two brands.
LeisurePro does it!

What? Oh... yeah...

Never mind.
54.gif

Seriously, if what Larry's saying is that he's now an Oceanic dealer, I think that's very good news. Wonder what his price would be on an Oceanic Veo 180...

Now back on topic...

--Marek

Marek K:
Wonder what his price would be on an Oceanic Veo 180...

$263.20. Now back on topic...

Vie:
Your best bet is probably to call Oceanic USA and ask them—(510) 562-0500. They don’t seem to answer their e-mails these days...

Amen to that. I still haven't made up my mind on oceanic yet. Whether to love them or hate them. I have two of their computers. I didn't realize the whole "authorized dealer" problem until after I purchased and dived with my atom. Had I know, I would have purchased from scubatoys now that I know they carry oceanic. Thankfully, the atom hasn't had any of the problems yet.

I sent my "long out of warranty" datatrans plus in for calibration since it was not working. They agreed to take it, calibrate it, and send me it back with the new, more powerful xmitter for a certain price. I was happy. I got the computer back WITHOUT the new transmitter. I was pretty bummed. I sent them a mail which has, to the best of my knowledge, fallen on deaf ears (or blind eyes as the case may be).

I am back to leaning to the very dissatisfied side of the love/hate scale.

Vie:
As for the 2 Atom problems...I actually experienced a third problem where my Atom went into dive mode as the plane I was sitting in was coming in to land. It was about five minutes before landing and the depth shown was 2.7m, even though I was sitting quite a way above sea level. I had turned the water activation feature off, as well as the receiver/transmitter before boarding the plane and my Atom was in watch mode so I have no idea what caused the dive mode to activate. When I got off the plane, my Atom was still “diving” and I ended up having to take the battery out, and waiting for fifteen minutes before reinstalling, to get the Atom back to normal.

I've seen this a lot. If you are flying, you are at a reduced pressure - approx 8,000 ft cabin pressure. If at that pressure you activate a computer, (maybe just bumped a button) it fires up and checks the atmospheric pressure, and basically concluded you were getting ready to do a high mountain dive. So then as the plane descends for landing, the pressure increases until you get to sea level pressure, but that now equals an increased pressure over where it was when activated... so it thinks you are now diving.

So either turn them on before the plane takes off - or don't turn them on... and the remove the battery thing was the right move... basically a hard boot!

And as far as the pricing... keep in mind... we fly IFR (I Follow Rules - which means some of my prices have to be advertised at a certain level... I have a lot of flexibility if you call....)

Back
Top Bottom