Oceanic Geo 2.0 - Variable Ascent Rate Indicator (VARI) bars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roatan Joe, I understood you and have set my Geo 2.0 Tissue Sampling Rate to 2 seconds. It was at 15 seconds.

Now it seems that I might have ascended too fast at one point. I did not hear my dive comp beeping. Should I be worried about that too?

Probably not. I had to look it up, but the manual says you get a 10 second audible alarm when you exceed 60 fpm while deeper than 60ft. or 30 fpm when less than 60 ft. Also, you get three beeps when you ascend 51-60 fpm deeper than 60 ft, and 26-30 fpm when shallower than 60 ft.

The computer is obviously very sensitive and conservative with its ascent display and alarms. Just try to make sure you ascend slowly and you should be fine.

Ditto, what Hawkwood mentioned. Switching to 2 second samples is seriously going to reduce the number of dives the computer will be able to store for you, but maybe you will be able to see exactly where in your dive you are ascending too fast as far as your computer is concerned. You might want to switch it back to 15 secs. after you have recorded a dive or two at 2 second intervals.

Regarding not hearing the computer beep, I find it very hard to hear when not wearing a hood and impossible when I am. Don't rely on a beep to tell you when there's a "problem".

With all due respect, the reason I have a computer is so that I can rely on it instead of on my fallible human estimates. I DO want to rely on beeps if I'm close to trouble.

On the other hand, I understand that I have to watch my own buoyancy. That's not within the computer's scope.

You might want to switch it back to 15 secs. after you have recorded a dive or two at 2 second intervals.

Noted your information with thanks.

i have geo 2.0 and would like to know the result of this discussion as well

I've often wondered if the high ascent rate might come from lifting you hand quickly to read the computer while ascending. Also - 6.1-7.5 meters per hour - are you sure you surfaced :D

So I dive with two computers, one of them is the Geo 2.0, the other is air integrated.

My configuration is that the air integrated computer is worn on my right wrist, the Geo is on the left chest D-ring of my BCD.

I used to see the 5 bars all the time when I wore my Geo on my wrist. I was able to prove (to my own satisfaction anyway) that the 5th bar lit up based on my simply lifting my hand up too quickly.

Once I moved it to my chest (as a back up) it has not shown 5 bars once. I believe it is sensitive enough to show high ascent rates even caused by lifting your hand too quickly. Now that it is attached to my core, it is showing more accurate ascent rates based on my body, not my hand.

I've noticed this too. Every logged dive has the ascent rate flashing. I always figured it happened at some point in the dive, like swimming up and over a ledge in the reef or happened during the last couple of feet as I'm looking around for things which might run me over. But even after making sure I surface extremely slow in the last 15 ft, it still flashes in my log. I have shot my SMB and crank my reel slowly, one rotation pause, one rotation pause, up to my safety stop where I hang from my reel. A very slow ascent from my safety stop and it is still flashing in my log. Yet as I monitor on ascent, it doesn't flash at all.

I'm not sure I've had a single dive that has not "violated" the ascent monitor of the Geo2. This flies in the setting of very conservative ascents. I do not pay any attention to this.

Best, Craig

Reporting back after having set the sampling rate on my Geo 2.0 to 2 seconds (original was 15 secs). The dive comp became overly-sensitive (I think) and has recorded several ascent violations of over 9m/min. (Kharon is right, it wasn't "per hour".)

I will be setting my Geo's sampling rate to 30 seconds to see if I like it better that way.

The only thing the sampling rate is supposed to do is define the frequency of collecting data points for the dive log software, it should have no impact on the ascent indicator (or any other "real time" functionality)

The only thing the sampling rate is supposed to do is define the frequency of collecting data points for the dive log software, it should have no impact on the ascent indicator (or any other "real time" functionality)

Thanks Sean... Believe it or not what you just pointed out came to me a few nights ago and I had been meaning to come find this thread and post the same! Haha..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom