Oceanic Pro Plus 2 vs Aeris Atmos AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same dilemma and finally decided for the Aeris Atmos AI. When you look at the design of Aeris Atmos AI you will notice the angle between the pressure tube and the instrument. This makes the instrument very natural in your hand and allows an easy one-hand manipulation. The specifications and functionality are for both instruments the same. After one year of using the Aeris Atmos AI I definitely would make the same choice.
But I had some concerns with regards to the PC interface. The purchase of the Aeris Atmos AI is quite an investment and the download interface was another 215 Euro. I decided to buy the SENSUS PRO instead (160 Euro) and combined it with the software package ScubaBase. It is the best combination one can make (read all details on the ScubaBase web pages: www.scubabase.be).

DandyDon:
The two brands are made by the same company - Pelagic , and the owners manuals may be word for word identical.
yes, this is correct because the internal components are similiar with same operating functions, but do appear to be different from the design. Great working and reliable computers for every diving situation.

divegirlFL:
I dove with it last Saturday off Ponce & liked it so far. Doubting I'll get another dive in before the 30 day guarantee but I think I'd stick with it even if I did. Just have to learn all of its goodies.

Chuluota is a rural suburb of Orlando.

Divegirl does your new computer tell you all of the same information as the oceanic. I am also looking at dive computers and that particular oceanic model was one I liked because of all its features and large clear display.

divegirlFL:
Well, as you can see by my title I'm debating between the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and the Aeris Atmos AI. Any in use comments would be highly appreciated as I don't personally know anyone with either of these 2 computers yet. I currently have an air only Suunto which dates back awhile and am looking for a good Nitrox computer which is PC compatible and most likely air integrated (although this isn't required).

Thanks for your comments.

Which is the same as the AI but, NOT :)In any case... the one thing I do NOT like about Aeris is that they don't have enough bars to segment the various visual readings. For example: there are only five green segments for nitrogen but the Oceanic Pro Plus has nine. This means that for a bar in the nitrogen section to appear I need to have a more nitrogen in my system.

I've learned that I prefer to have more precision. This is especially true when you start diving nitrox - when everyone else (just about) is showing some bars (yes I could compare numbers, but hey) I won't show any until I get up there.

The other problem with the AI is that is has even LESS sections on the bars... it only has TWO green bars before you hit yellow (for O2).

zboss, I totally agree with your precision argument. One of the reasons we bought our ProPlus 2's was the high precision of the nitrogen graph.

As far as the sizes of the graphs... it really doesn't bother me. First off - the O2 graph, you could really take off - it's such a non-issue for recreational nitrox. If your PO2 is set at 1.6 - it is virtually impossible to every see it hit red... Just can't stay long enough unless you are doing very heavy deco diving.

As far as the nitrogen graph... It's ok... I really look at numbers more. Tell me I have 5 minutes left means a lot more to me than 4 out of 5 or 8 out of 9 bars.

So, I'd toss my hat on the Aeris side... I do like their foot print better - and that means more to me than the graph setup.

True, the numbers are more useful than the Nitrogen loading graph, especially because the graph can be misleading at times, unless you know exactly how it works. If you do a dive to 100' and saturate one of your high pressure compartments such that you've filled the green area and then ascend to 40', the N2 graph will continue to indicate a full green area even though you may have 40-50 minutes more no-deco time at that depth. At the lesser depth you're not filling the saturated compartment anymore and the lower-pressure compartment has a long way to go before it's filled. The numbers reflect this change, whereas the N2 graph on the oceanic shows you the fullest compartment regardless of whether it's being filled or emptied at the current depth.

However, the alternative where the graph is just a chart representation of the numbers, which provides a lot less information than how the pelagics do it.

Last summer, on a two day excursion, I managed to put my O2 load up to the red, and I had to do the last dive on air, which then put my N2 at max and ended the trip. You CAN load it up on both graphs as a rec diver.

I did 7 dives in less than 30 hours, all drift dives in the 60-70 foot range, each with a BT of 40-60 mins and with EAN21-EAN37. Good trip.

Profile:
Day 1
Time: Depth.... Bottom Time...O2%
16:17 ,,,,,,67..........51 ............ 37
17:58 ..... 62..........61..............37
20:56 ......62..........42..............36

Day 2
13:22.....64............41.............36
15:17.....65............60.............36
17:20.....65............51.............36 (hit O2 limit, surfaced)
19:05.....63............32.............21 (hit NDL, surfaced)

I have an Atmos AI - probably have a good 50 dives on it and I love it!!!

scubatoys:
As far as the sizes of the graphs... it really doesn't bother me. First off - the O2 graph, you could really take off - it's such a non-issue for recreational nitrox. If your PO2 is set at 1.6 - it is virtually impossible to every see it hit red... Just can't stay long enough unless you are doing very heavy deco diving.

As far as the nitrogen graph... It's ok... I really look at numbers more. Tell me I have 5 minutes left means a lot more to me than 4 out of 5 or 8 out of 9 bars.

So, I'd toss my hat on the Aeris side... I do like their foot print better - and that means more to me than the graph setup.

for the same numerical data to be better. I find the graph to be more useful... until I get towards yellow.

You are right about the form factor... although Oceanic now makes smaller comps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom