Oceanic VT 4.1 vs. OCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nns91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase my 1st computer. I am currently looking at VT 4.1 and OCS. They are pretty much neck to neck right now for me. I am mainly a rec diver with a potential of going into tec and deep diving. Therefore, I want a computer that is good for both rec and tec diving. On one hand, VT 4.1 has wireless option, 4 gas mix, and a bigger screen (For some reasons, I kinda prefer larger screen). ON the other hand, OCS has pretty much everything that I need except the screen is a bit smaller (this is a tiny point, the display on OCS looks quite nice anyway so I don't really mind it).

OCS has 3 gas mix mode which I personally think is sufficient for my need, so I am wondering, when do you need a 4 gas mix? Is that really necessary and common in tec diving ?

Second, I am hesitating to go wireless. I have planned to get a non-wireless computer and then get an analog gauge for my pressure, which seems to be a safer choice. Is VT 4.1 wireless that reliable? Or is it better to go with an analog pressure gauge to eliminate the problem of signal loss? Is wireless really worth it?

If you are going to do tech then nether one will work for you as they are not design for tech diving.

Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase my 1st computer. I am currently looking at VT 4.1 and OCS. They are pretty much neck to neck right now for me. I am mainly a rec diver with a potential of going into tec and deep diving. Therefore, I want a computer that is good for both rec and tec diving. On one hand, VT 4.1 has wireless option, 4 gas mix, and a bigger screen (For some reasons, I kinda prefer larger screen). ON the other hand, OCS has pretty much everything that I need except the screen is a bit smaller (this is a tiny point, the display on OCS looks quite nice anyway so I don't really mind it).

OCS has 3 gas mix mode which I personally think is sufficient for my need, so I am wondering, when do you need a 4 gas mix? Is that really necessary and common in tec diving ?

Second, I am hesitating to go wireless. I have planned to get a non-wireless computer and then get an analog gauge for my pressure, which seems to be a safer choice. Is VT 4.1 wireless that reliable? Or is it better to go with an analog pressure gauge to eliminate the problem of signal loss? Is wireless really worth it?

Based on this requirement, your computer should do this 1)recreation nitrox capable 2) has gauge mode, preferrable display dive time in second. The so call multiple gas features are thing you will not likely use in tec diving, same applies for wireless features or integreated compass. If you already have budge in that range, consider Liquidvision X1 or something like that. Suunto Vyper and Uwatec 2g are good choices for less money.

Oh thanks a lot. I was just reading a review on OCS, it said that one of the pros was that it was good for tec so that's what I thought.

In another scenario, when I do mainly recreational, which one of the two do you guys recommend?

---------- Post added ----------

Any other suggestion is also great too !!!!!

It all depends on whether you want a small, standard watch sized computer, or a larger pure dive computer. If you are okay with a smaller computer, you may also want to consider the Atom 3.0. Whlie I like the dot matrix display on the OC1, the compass is marginal and I don't know if the display difference is worth the huge premium.

Last edited:
Ditto izibo. Pick your size & you'll have your answer. I, personally, thought the VT's were just too big for my taste, and the watch-sized were plenty big for me. So, that had me focusing on the OCS & Atom 3.1. Went side/side with those two. Dot display section was appealing, as was the easy menu nav on the OCS. Compass was the only other difference for me, at least...and that didn't look good or intuitive at all. So, +$400 premium for a section of dot and a compass I wouldn't use did not make any sense. I bought the Atom 3.1. So far, so good.

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate your input. If you guys have experience with Oceanic computers already, can you guys comment on the quality, especially reliability and user-friendliness?

I am actually quite ambivalent in terms of the size. I always like nice and clear display so VT seems quite nice. However, as I have seen on a couple reviews, OCS screen is very big too. My concern is that I don't know whether VT4 is really worth the money.

What did you mean by a +$400 premium with the OCS comparing to Atom 3.1? Aren't they around the same price ?

Do you guys have any suggestion for other models of other brands that I should take a look at ?

My bad 91, I was referring to the OC1 not the OCS in my previous post. I have never checked out the specs on the OCS because I was only interested in AI models. The OC1 has a $400 premium over the Atom. It has the compass and dot matrix section of screen. Sorry for the confusion.

Atom 3.1 is still new to me, so I cannot speak to it's reliability and durability...but it has been good so far. After a bunch of research, I think the VT4 menu is the most user-friendly menu out of all the options you're considering, hands down. But you don't need to be mensa to figure out the Atom by any means. Once you know what a handful of abbreviations mean, a read of the manual, and review of the online training--you're fine.

Hahahah, oh ok, thanks Snogg37. How do you like its AI so far? What is your opinion on AI reliability? Do you also have an analog back up ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom