Oceanic VT 4.1 vs. OCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knock on wood, the AI on the Atom has been perfect. I'll occasionally notice a blip on my dive log history that shows a momentary drop, but even that only twice and only for a moment. Never knew it while diving. I'm still a newb and just dive rec. No, I do not carry and analog backup. I may get one for my dive bag as a backup on big trips, but just use the Atom on local trips.

I am assuming that you had gone diving without wireless AI before you got your Atom 3.0. How much more convenient do you feel having Air Pressure as well as time remaining on your wrist? And what convinced you to get an wireless AI despite the ongoing discussion about its reliability?

I will never go back to a non-AI computer. Being able to look at my wrist and see everything is really convenient. I have had the computer lose connection with the transmitter for a few seconds during a dive, but it never lasts for more than a few seconds and is essentially a non-issue. I really enjoy being able to download all of the information to my desktop and look at how my SAC rate changes during the dive.

That being said, I still dive with a small brass SPG that stays tucked away during dives. I also have a second dive computer (a Geo 2.0) that I have. I am of the thought that I would hate for a dead computer or transmitter to make me call a whole day of dives. If my transmitter, or even my primary computer dies on me during a dive, it won't be a problem. Still, I have yet to have a single issue (knock on wood).

I like having everything in one easy to find spot. Others can "talk" about their alleged problems with connection. I prefer just to use mine without challenges. Don't fear the technology. Working perfectly for me. I find no need for an spg other than in the save a dive bag on the boat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Is there any comment on either the VT4 or the OCS (especially the OCS since I am leaning toward non-AI) ??? Also, is there any non-AI model should I take a look at ?

It's my understanding the Geo 2.0 is basically an Atom 3 without AI, for less money. Not sure whether there are other differences. DiveNav's website could probably pull up a column against column comparison of the Atom 3, OCS & the Geo 2.0.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom