Octo keeper pulls mouthpiece off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just chalk that one to sh@@rt happens I have seen a diveshop where all the rental regs had no mouthpieces in your open water kit were two mouthpieces that most of the time were just slipped over the reg they very rarely came off even without the zip tie this was done for sanitary reasons and also a people tend to abuse rental gear torn/damaged rubber parts are not uncommon. This is also a reason to own your own gear.

Actually you may have been lucky with this learning opportunity.

1. A regulator does not need a mouthpiece to breath. Not as comfortable as needed. I hope that the instructor took this opportunity to instruct the class in that. Good chance to practice.

2. A mouth piece came off for me early in my diving. I switched to a secure and intalled a new one myself.

3. Was diving with a newbie on her first ocean dive and her mouth piece came off rental gear. He did not know 1, and her spare was in a different place because they did not have a reg keeper so she flashed me the OOA and we air shared at 50 ft while I sorted things out.

In hind sight it may be obvious, but I admit I was not aware of the UV damage issue. Will check mine more often.

I too have not heard of the UV damage before...it sounds reasonable and something to look for on our shop's rental gear.

I like to use the small silicon keeper shown in #4 on the shop's rental gear in my OW course. If the student has their own gear I let them use what they have or provide them a keeper. In an Open Water course these keepers work great and are tough and durable. In my advance courses that I teach, I use a BP/W and employ the Long/short hose configuration. This is primary for my personal comfort...but it shows the students that there are different equipment configurations available to them.

Actually you may have been lucky with this learning opportunity.

1. A regulator does not need a mouthpiece to breath. Not as comfortable as needed. I hope that the instructor took this opportunity to instruct the class in that. Good chance to practice.

I understood that. And, fortunately, so did the guy who was "OOA" and got handed the reg with no mouthpiece. And, no, the instructor really made no mention of it to the class at all after the incident.

---------- Post added October 31st, 2014 at 10:11 AM ----------

He picked a shop by the lowest price, talked to the people, and liked them. Good. But he had no knowledge of diving, of scuba instruction, of the equipment, of what he ought to ask and find out, etc. For someone who questions everything, it makes me wonder. He did not know what he did not know. He still doesn't. This is the problem with folks who think they can work it all out for themselves because they are smart and they know how to ask questions. He did not know enough to ask the right questions, and that continued through the pool and OW dives, too. He accepted what he was handed at face value and complained afterwards. I'll bet he wishes he'd known more about defogger, about how a BC ought to work, about a lot of things. Right now he has zero experience other than two pool sessions and 4 cert dives in a quarry, apparently with a bunch of different instructors. And he is making assumptions about how comfortable a necklaced alternate is? And getting advice to pursue DIR?

Jeez, what he needs is a mentor and a lot more experience. And he needs to at least comparison-shop before choosing a dive shop. I did a Goggle search for dive shops in his area and came up with a lot more than 2. Looks to me like he chose the closest and cheapest. I'll bet if he had asked on SB for some suggestions in his area he might have found it informative. But he chose to think it all through by himself...and I'm wondering how that worked out for him. Not well, it seems.

"No knowledge of diving". Obviously. Because it is certainly the case the nobody has ever gone diving without having a certification, or learned anything about diving without taking a class and paying an instructor.

"complained afterwards". Really? I have related my experiences, when the context was appropriate to illustrate where a question I was asking was coming from. Can you please identify a post where I have complained?

"he is making assumptions about how comfortable a necklaced alternate is? And getting advice to pursue DIR?" Where have I done that? I have explained my imaginings and then asked knowledgeable and experienced people about them. Where did I make an assumption? May I respectfully refer you to Jim Lapenta's post that started this thread and ask you which parts of it you disagree with?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

Because I am here, NOT making assumptions. Instead, I am here, taking responsibility for my own education and asking questions. You seem to think that I should take whatever you tell me is "the right way to do it" and proceed as if what you say is The Gospel. Somehow, you seem to think that by asking "why" I am rejecting what I am being told.

Also, I have not sought advice on pursuing DIR, though there have been some posts from others about DIR. I may have even referred to a DIR principle that I read about, but I have not sought and am not seeking advice on pursuing DIR. I have read enough about it on my own to know that it's not something I care to pursue at this point in my diving education.

Now, since you want to do the research and find a shop for me to take my class over again, let me give you the full set of parameters that I had, for finding a shop.

1) I organized 8 other people, plus myself, to take the class and get certified.

2) 5 of those people are a family who lives out between Marshall, VA, and Flint Hill. Your Google Mapfu is obviously strong, so you can see where that is for yourself. You already know where my g/f and I live (apparently). And the other 2 people live in Bull Run, VA. Our class also needed to a reasonable driving distance for all of them.

3) Price was a primary factor. By bringing a group of 9, we got the class discounted to $300 per person. No other place I looked at could remotely touch that price. But even at the price, the family of 5 was still paying $1500, plus they spent another $700 - 800 getting everyone all the snorkeling gear and boots they all needed. If the class had been $400 or 500 per person, they whole thing would have been a no-go.

I did the best I could to find a shop that worked for everyone logistically, financially, and schedulewise. It came down to this shop or it wasn't going to happen - as far as I could determine.

So, please, let me know where we could have all gone instead of the place we chose (Coral Edge Adventures). We're not going to all take the OW class again, but I'll certainly consider whomever you recommend for my more advanced training as I go forward, and recommend them to others if anyone ever asks.

I would LOVE to have a mentor and I definitely need more experience. But, what I don't need is a Big Bowl O' Condescension. In fact, if you feel like responding to any of this, the thing I would like to know MOST is what, in your post, do you think is helpful to me or anyone else that may come along and read it? Is there even a single thing in your post that is actually helpful? Or is just self-gratifying to go around kicking newbies in the balls?

On my BC I have a plastic "clip" like the one in my crappy drawing here.
You push the hose in through the top part and the octo is secure but still very easy to pull loose.
I haven't seen anyone else with one of these (IRL at least) so always make sure to brief whoever I'm diving with, it's dead simple yet very effective.

71ada61b233447023729bc4fb7aea7cb.jpg

Tapatalked

On my BC I have a plastic "clip" like the one in my crappy drawing here.
You push the hose in through the top part and the octo is secure but still very easy to pull loose.
I haven't seen anyone else with one of these (IRL at least) so always make sure to brief whoever I'm diving with, it's dead simple yet very effective.

Tapatalked

Ha ha! Nice!

All the BCs we were issued in the class had clips like the one I think you mean, but they were positioned to hold the gauge console and to clip off the primary reg while on the surface. Those clips did not seem to hold the primary reg as well as the silicon keeper held the octo.

I would LOVE to have a mentor and I definitely need more experience. But, what I don't need is a Big Bowl O' Condescension. In fact, if you feel like responding to any of this, the thing I would like to know MOST is what, in your post, do you think is helpful to me or anyone else that may come along and read it? Is there even a single thing in your post that is actually helpful? Or is just self-gratifying to go around kicking newbies in the balls?

I apologize. My rant was as much about SB as you. Offering you DIR as a solution was creative but probably not what you need at this early point in your diving career.
My biggest point was that you could have asked on SB for shop/instructor recommendations BEFORE your class, and might not have ended up at CEA. If you were there because it was both convenient and cheap, I don't find either reason compelling.

I gather from your profile that you are doing your cert dives tomorrow and Sunday. You've started 9 threads, all if them about equipment in one form or another. A little patience might be in order, as well as questioning your paid instructor(s). I think you might find that many of your concerns are really quite trivial.....they are not the important things about diving, or diving equipment. You need some perspective, and that will come with experience and time. As a newbie, you have no context, so everything is equal. Except it is not.

Good luck this weekend.

I apologize.

Good luck this weekend.

Thanks! And no worries. :)

Yes, I know I've started numerous threads and am showing my impatience. But, this is the Internet! Isn't that half the reason for this forum? Wiling our time away debating hypothetical questions when we aren't/can't be out doing the actual fun stuff we'd rather be doing?

My questions about equipment are standard fare for me. I know from life experience that one often cannot evaluate equipment until one has gotten some education on said equipment. I.e. until a person has been taught ABOUT the equipment and what things to look for in evaluating it.

You take someone who knows nothing at all about TVs into Best Buy and have them look at the cheapest 1080p LCD side by side with the nicest 4K UHDTV and they will probably say that one looks better than the other, but that will be the extent of their analysis. But put a television expert in front of the two TVs and they'll be able to show you differences in how the Contrast results in certain artifacts on one versus the other, how each handles live action motion, etc..

I like to learn about the details of the equipment (in this case, scuba equipment) so that as I'm going through my class and then, later, using rental gear, I will understand what I'm using and why things work the way they do and what things to look for as I'm using them, so that I can develop a better idea of why I want to invest in one piece of equipment later versus another than just "because I liked that one better."

I *think* that the more I know about (for example) the features of different dive computers before I even get in the water, the better I will be able to evaluate the one I'm renting to know if it's one I would consider buying later.

A necklaced backup is not "DIR". It is the standard setup for technical diving, and it's standard for a reason -- it works.

To the OP: I don't judge you for choosing the shop you did. When I got certified, I went down to the shop that's five minutes from my house, and found out they had a class that worked for my schedule. I did no more homework than that -- I had no idea that classes varied or standards varied, and I didn't view diving as something you needed to learn to do well, but just something you needed to learn to do. I'm not the kind of person who reads a dozen reviews of auto shops before deciding where to get her oil changed, either.

The problem with diving instruction is that the person making a decision about where and how to get it is the person LEAST able to do so, because before you begin to learn, you don't know anything. We have excellent essays on ScubaBoard about how to choose a diving class, but I don't think many folks, even today, find ScubaBoard BEFORE they sign up to get certified.

Anyway, shop rental gear gets pummeled, and at least in our experience, minor malfunctions are frequent. In a way, I don't entirely mind, because it teaches students that equipment can and does have problems, and you need to be able to stay calm and cope.

Back
Top Bottom