Octo on right , or left side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gandalf-the-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where I dive, virtually everyone has their octo, or alternate, on their right side. I know a diver who likes hers on the left side. Quick investigation shows me, right or left for octos, changes all over the globe. I have heard the reasons for left side, and actually it makes sence to me.
Group thoughts on this? If you primary donate, that's the way you dive and that works well for a lot of people, including many of my dive buddies. This thread is not to debate that primary donate is better. This thread is about having an octo on the right, or left side.

Do you mean hose routing? Or where the octo is clipped off/ stowed when not in use? I personally keep mine on a bungee necklace and the hose routes to the right since that's the side the hose connection is located on the second stage. There are left side hose connection regulators for use as octos out there but it's not as common.

Do you mean hose routing? Or where the octo is clipped off/ stowed when not in use? I personally keep mine on a bungee necklace and the hose routes to the right since that's the side the hose connection is located on the second stage. There are left side hose connection regulators for use as octos out there but it's not as common.
I mean, having a std octo set up where the hose routes on your right side, under your arm, and is present there for someone to use. The other option, is on your left side, under arm as well. No dif in the mouthpiece. The standard octo purchased where I am in the Pac NW, is threaded for your own use, not convienient use of a buddy in distress. If you hang it on the left side, the octo is easier to use by your buddy.

It is easy to remove and don the kit when all hoses are routed on the right side; especially when you have to kit up on a RIB in rough weather.
Nothing to do with getting geared up, more to do with handing off to a buddy underwater, and how the octo sits in their mouth, vis a vis twists in line due to which side it is coming out on.

Nothing to do with getting geared up, more to do with handing off to a buddy underwater, and how the octo sits in their mouth, vis a vis twists in line due to which side it is coming out on.
So your synchronized OOA buddy is going to know which side to snatch the regulator from your mouth.

I'm not sure it "matters", but the typical set up is to the right, worldwide, and that is where most recreational level divers will expect it to be if they need it. I suspects your limited research is photos on the internet? Keep in mind that those phots may depict custom setups. Also, make sure you don't fall victim to image flipping. Make sure the reg and octo are on opposite sides if you're looking at them that way. I see what I think are snorkels and regs and stuff on the "wrong side" in photos occasionally, and then realize the image is flipped or reversed.....but I'm a little slow sometimes. LOL! :)

This is timely, as I just read an article on the DAN Facebook site advocating for left side. The arguments they presented made sense, if you plan to donate your octo. They did not discuss the fact that all of their points fall flat with primary donate. Even in the octo donate situation, your buddy will need to relearn the location, which might not be a big deal.
I also remember reading in another post a while back that left side is standard in, I believe, Japan.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom