Off the rack wetsuit for short and big bellied people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grimloc, seriously, you really should consider going custom. I can't say enough good things about Liquid Fit. Their suits are fantastic. It's a real pleasure to work with the owner, Carolyn. She will work tirelessly with you until your suit is just perfect. Another good policy that she offers is to adjust your suit for free if you should lose weight. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the Liquid Fit prices. They are really no more than a quality rack suit. Give Carolyn a call @ 800-785-8362 or go to LiquidFit.Com ~ Wetsuits That Fit Like They Were Poured On You. Be sure that you tell her that you are a scuba board member; she will discount your final price.

SWT

You're going to have to go custom. I'm much the same shape and there's no off-the-rack wetsuit that will even come close to fitting.

I'm a big fan of AquaFlite (Custom Wetsuits, Scuba Diving Skins, Parkas from AquaFlite). They promise to ship within 10 days of your order.

On my order, I called it in on a Monday morning and received it by Friday!

It fits wonderfully and cost LESS than the off-the-rack wetsuits at my LDS.

Besides, the only way neoprene stretches is by getting thinner. Around here, that means "colder."

I am a tough fit 5'4 185 pnds 48 chest 35 waste the problem is with the torso its to long you can get arms and legs shortened but when the torso length is off as you get out of the water you will look like you have elephantiasis the suit will hold water where ever it is not a snug fit on your body thats why you get a custom suit for around $300 it will keep you warmer and your diving will be much more enjoyable as i said i use liquid fit there real nice i am waiting for my 3mm as we speak :)

Thank you all so much. I know....it's rough being this darn rugged and good lookin', but I'll be darned if it ain't a bit tough to get good fitting clothes. I have a trip to Roatan the first week of February....so I may very well consider a custom fit. The thing is......where I'm from......I'll spending much more time in 7mm suits than in somthing thinner for the tropics. If I was going to spend cash on a custom.....wouldn't it be better to do it for the suit I'll be in most? What I am hearing is that "stretchy" is good.....and that Bare is doing that plus making suits with dimensions for shorter, squattier people. Perhaps I'll take a hard look at the Bare product for a 3mm suit.....hope to save a few dollars and commit to going custom on a heavier suit.

Then again......

My wife got a Bare short and at 5'4'' (womens) it was too short. IMO Get a superflex suit like aqualung (i have heard less than pleasing reviews for the henderson stretchy stuff) at regular lenght. If you have booties that cover the ankles that will take up some lenght if you put it over the bootties. I dive a Bare size ML fits like a glove. Based on my dimensions i would go one size up if buying Bare.

Grimloc, you are a treasure! I don't know what you to tell you about wetsuits, but you have to be the most courageous, honest and "comfortable in your own skin" poster I've ever seen on this board for posting your measurements. Well done!

Ok then...let's review the measurements:

Ht: 5'7"
Wt: 195 lb.
Chest: 40" at the ribs, but bigger (42") at the man-breasts
Waist at belt: 37"
Waist at the umbilicus: 42"
Inseam: 29"

I looked at the Bare size-chart and first blush looks like a Large Short. Am I hearing arguement for an XL Short????

Grimloc, you are a treasure! I don't know what you to tell you about wetsuits, but you have to be the most courageous, honest and "comfortable in your own skin" poster I've ever seen on this board for posting your measurements. Well done!

:D Thank you for the comment. That made me smile! You know folks? It's all good. My physique does not define me in the least....and I do not believe it does for you either. Genetics....personal habits....or just dumb luck...gives us the bodies we have. I have been an adventurer my whole life and have enjoyed several different body types over the years. What would life be like if you never had the good fortune to have a diverse perspective on things?

I'm a nurse, physiologist, snowboarder, biker, motorcycle cruiser, musician, hiker, camper, traveler and NOW....a certified diver. My body habitus just comes along for the ride.

Be comfortable in your skin people! Be happy.

there are a few reasons why I would go with both a 3mm and 7 mm custom, first off 3mm are cheaper so if you don’t like the suit you spent less money second bye ordering a 3mm first they have already created a pattern so it will cheaper for your 7mm and the fit will be perfect and most custom suit makers will give you 1 free alteration within a year so if you lose or gain weight they will alter it for you free

Back
Top Bottom