Ohhhh, Ahhhhhh New M43 mirrorless in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

untitled-1240059.jpg

I don't know what a "meaningful" sensor upgrade would be for an M43 sensor. For me other features are much more important than being able to shoot at ISO-200,400. It is like chasing 4K/5K video which can't even be used on most current devices. I find the additions like easy HDR and other "art filters" excellent image stabilization (this new camera says 5 stops, awesome) to be more useful than going from 16 excellent MP's up to 800 or even 1600 to a 24mp sensor with more noise. When I travel I am in the water about three to four hours a day that leaves me another twenty hours or so ti shoot out of the water. This camera adds features that will expand those possibilities for around $1000.00 body only. I spent several hours diving at Alexander Springs Park in the Ocala National Forest last weekend testing a compact for a review in UWPMAG.com. At around midnight I was taking the attached shot using a tripod. Would have been awesome to have had the 40MP's to intensify the stars. The coming Sony A7r is rumored to be using a 50MP sensor for around $2500.00 so I consider the Olympus with 40MP to be somewhat of a value though limited in several ways. I, like you don't know if this will be a great upgrade path for U/W shooters, but then I was told by people in the industry that the E-M1 would never sell as an upgrade to the E-M5 and that did not turnout to be the case at all. I think this camera will sell as well as the E-M5 did and will probably be awarded the same accolades as the E-M5 and E-M1 have.

P.S. If it was not already mentioned here a new E-M5II Olympus housing is also planed.

Last edited:
By the way, full specs were leaked on 43rumors. Looks like they'll have 12-50mm and 12-40mm kits as well (at least in the UK anyways).

Back
Top Bottom