OK, another cool water wet suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I know thast diving warmth is very individual, and but I hope I can get some reasonable advice here. I have dived almost exclusively tropical waters. In waters around 80-82 degrees, I have always been comfortable in a 0.5 mm full suit, worn mostly for exposure protection, not warmth. I have worn a 3 mm farmer john with success in temps in the low-mid 70's. I have recently been involved in some cool (65 degree) water diving in which I have used a 7 mm farmer john and hood. I was pretty warm, and I hated the excess buoyancy. I am looking to do more 65 diving, and I am looking to purchase. I have been looking at other posts in similar forums, and it seems to me that a lot of people are advocating a plain 7mm jump suit and hood, perhaps a hooded vest, for such conditions. Given the fact that I seem to be more cold tolerant than most, will that be OK? If so, would simply adding a hood, or hooded vest, to my 3 mm farmer john be essentially the same thing? I am not rich, so I can't just buy things at a whim. My preference is to buy the very right thing the first time, even if it costs a little more, and that is what I want to do here.

personally I dive a dry suit. Started out with a neoprene but soon discovered it was too warm in tropical water temps. so...with a shell type dry suit I don't get hypothermia in any water temp. Dress warm for cold water, dress with less for the tropical stuff. Sounds dumb using a dry suit for 80 degree water huh? But if it's really warm water, consider filling the suit with helium instead of plain air or argon. Helium will cool you about 4x faster than air. It'll be like air conditioning...and you don't get wrinkled fromt he water.
db

7mm farmer john in 65 degree water? Like you said it is a personal choice but I think that is more than plenty.

Yes, a 7 mm jump suit with hood should be good enough for you with your description of your tolerance level.
And yes, a 3 mm farmer john with hood should be just as good as a 7 mm jump suit.

Since you already own the 3 mm fj and need the hood either way, buy a hooded vest and try it out. If your arms and legs get a little cold (I doubt) you can go buy the 7 mm jump suit.

Happy diving,
theskull

Another option might be to use a 5mm full suit. You could get it hooded, or also purchase a 5mm sleevless jacket with a hood along with a separate hood. You would then be able to wear the full suit, add the separate hood to that, or wear the suit with the jacket/hood. You could adjust to varying condtions. I just purchsed such a suit from Aquaflite (www.aquaflite.com) and love it.

Is the water 65 degrees at the surface or at depth? For me, 7mm all the way with hood. Or a 7mm with integrated hood.

What is more important than thickness is what the lining of the suit is. A 5mm Gold Core is going to keep you warmer than a 7mm nylon II. Quite a few suit makers have this material, but call it by different names. Also, another important consideration is the fit. A very good fitting 5mm suit will keep you warmer than a ill fitting 7mm.

I've solved this problem quite nicely......I don't dive in cold water!!!

Hey, good luck to you. I hope you find a suit that keeps you toasty warm.
SWT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom