Ok, BP/W lovers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the impression that Scott was talking about single tank wings only.

Scott, is that the case, or were you considering making a donut-shaped doubles wing?

pants!:
I got the impression that Scott was talking about single tank wings only.

Scott, is that the case, or were you considering making a donut-shaped doubles wing?

I am open minded at this point.

:wink:

I really don't want you guys to get into a debate over how much lift anyone needs - all input is appreciated, whether you personally agree with it or not!! :crafty:

I like my Oxycheck 45# lift donut - can't remember the model name. I use it here in Seattle and on tropical dives as there really isn't much difference from the 30#. I have a diverite plate but I wish they had the plate weights like Deep Sea Supply has - they are just thick heavy steel plates that bolt to your plate (adding 8 #s). Only problem I see is that you need to disassemble occationally to clean and remove inevitable corrosion. Actually come to think of it there is a cool plate design from an Australian company called Black Art diving equipment that put extra bends in the plate design to eliminate the single tank adapter yet provide added stability you need. I have photos if you like.

Jason

14# tropics wing would be nice. All the current wings seem to have 27+ #'s of lift. This is unnecessary when you are weighted properly. IMHO, all you need is enough to offset your gas while you are down and keep you afloat if you have a full bottle.

So far my favorite has been the Pioneer (I use the 30lb model) - warm water diver. Reasons I prefer the Pioneer over the DR Venture wing (my previous wing and only comparison - though also well liked)

1) Inflator mechanism is very slow
2) I actually like the single bag design (no outer shell) because it folds up smaller and is much easier to clean (single tank diving shouldn't be that rough on a wing anyway right?)
3) Built in STA
4) the carrying handle is also a nice touch

What I would change:

1) More versatile cam band strap slots like the Dive Rite wings have (Halcyon's only fit the 3" spacing of Halcyon BP's, many BP's have a 5-5.5" spacing)
2) Thicker material - I know it's strong, but being a single bag design it wouldn't hurt using thicker material. - Not really a complaint however, it seems perfectly adequate as it is...

If you go with an outer shell and inner bladder design it would help to have good drainage (like the DSS wings have) - DR uses 2 grommets, but if you get sand inside, it's a hassle to get out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the design you come up with ...

Aloha, Tim

I use a 30# Halcyon Eclipse wing set up with a Stainless Steel backplate. I presently dive wet, but will be switching to a dry suit this fall. I'm happy with the set up and wouldn't trade the BP/W for another jacket style at all.
Shane

I have the Oxycheq 45# singles wing. It's great for all around single tank diving. I'm told it's profile is more like that of a 30# wing. I use it with my steel tank, 3mm shortie and AL plate in salt in N. Carolina, and I use it with my steel plate, AL80 and 3mm shortie when traveling to the Tropics (or AL plate if traveling weight is an issue). I also use it with my steel plate and my drysuit in cold salt/freshwater. All environments. More than enough lift in a small package, hard to beat.

I am likely to go to a BP/W at a later date, when I decide I want to spend the money to replace my BC.

I'm a recreational diver, and I do dive year round out of Panama City. So I'm most likely going with an aluminum BP & a single tank rig, a small pony bottle probable. So I don't need a huge wing.

I still alternate between using a belt or integrated weights, but I'm coming to like IW better, especially when it's colder & I wear a thicker suit.

I don't really know the currently available makes & models out there, so can't offer a preference for example. Just telling you what I'm going to be looking for when the time comes. A Zeagle would be fine by me, if you have what I want at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom