OK I'm a Newbie, we all were once.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnCollins once bubbled...
...I think I'll look for a hooded vest because it sounds like an inexpensive way to increase the temperature range of the dives I can do until I can get a drysuit.

Beast started using a hooded vest last winter and it made a huge difference. His vest is an Excel brand, 5/3 with 5ml hood, 3ml around the face and 3 ml vest. With this he went from a 2pc 7ml to a 3ml and the hooded vest in the same temps. Keeping his neck and upper body warm was what does it for him. If he's going to be doing more than 3 dives, he'll use a 5/3 suit instead of the 3ml.

It's alot cheaper than a dry suit which isn't totally necessary here in Texas.

having some sort of hood on helps reduce or eliminate the shock of thermoclines.

Being that the head gets so much bloodflow to oxygenate the brain, thermoclines tend to have a greater effect if your head is not protected.

I have been diving with a FJ/step-in 7mm, but no hood and could not get past the thermocline due to headaches. As soon as I came above the thermocline, the headache went away. Once I put a hood on, all was well. Protect your head.

As much as I've tried, I've never gotten used to them. It kills me each time that I dive wet no matter how much neoprene I put on. Some people react better to cold than others. I know I react badly. Don't freak out when you hit the cold H2O, but get to know yourself and wear what's needed to be comfortable. I dive dry most of the year. That's really the only solution that works for me (with 3 layers of undergarments).

Thanks for the advice and personal experiences.

Now that I know I'm not the only one who this
happened to, I'm gonna have to go deep again,
Properly covering all parts of my body, and see
if I have the same "chilling" experience or if I 'll
actually get to enjoy my dive.

P.

Arnaud once bubbled...
Some people react better to cold than others. I know I react badly.

LOL, aint that the truth! I remember my first thermocline. We passed through, and I was thinking "that wasn't so bad" (I had a 7mil with hood and gloves). Then I felt a tug on my arm. I looked over and Jens face was blue, her eyes were the size of saucers, and she was giving me the "Surface or I'll kill you" look :D

I found a 6 pack on a rope in a thermocline once.. I think it was attached to a boat, but the knot was loose and it would have fell into my goodie bag anyway.

That was my worst temp change.. 89 on top, 70 under the thermocline.

Surface temps around here in the summer can get into the upper 70s or lower 80s, depending on the lake and the conditions. The FIRST thermocline is usually around 15-25 feet, again depending on the lake, and it can be a real slap in the face if you're not ready for it. In the deeper lakes, there can be a second thermocline in the 100-foot range, and the water below that is COLD. I've heard 39-40 :eek: , but I've never been deep enough around here to check that.

Funny story from a local instructor. He was teaching a basic OW course, and got everyone down on the platform. The thermocline was about 6 feet above the platform. Some of the students didn't have gloves, so they were standing on the platform with their hands raised up whenever possible, to keep them in that warmer water.

Anybody who's ever been to Dutch Springs, PA, knows what thermoclines are... 60-70s on the surface and 40-50s at depth. Man that gets cold :wacko: . But, I'd rather deal with that than not dive. To me, if I'm going to be wearing a 7mm suit, hood and gloves are mandatory. Otherwise, you wouldn't be needing that 7mm. Maybe that's too logical :confused: . I could be wrong.

David

Back
Top Bottom