Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with PerroneFord, you need to dive the rig to know how it feels. I have a hog and an OMS. You're more than welcome to try both of them out at Lake Pleasant. I'll be there at the end of the month.

Dive-aholic:
I agree with PerroneFord...
Me too... this has to be the first time he hasn't ripped OMS apart:wink:

It's best to try the BCD in water if you can, but if you can't, then try to judge how streamlined it would be, how it would trim out for you given your setup, how easy it would be to vent from the different available dumps, failure points (if this is an issue for you), the right lift capacity for you (obviously you don't want too little lift, but too much will mean more BC than you need = more drag and generally harder time venting it), and i'm sure others could add to this list. Obviously it has to fit too, but that's just a small part of what makes a good BCD.

scrapdizzy:
I gotta admit, after trying on about 30 different setups today at 3 different Dive Shops....im leaning towards the MARES Dragon. What a great BC and so comfortable! My runner up at this point is the Dive Rite Transpac and travel wing. I was'nt feeling the crotch strap situation though.
I own the mares dragon, oh it is amazing, i love it, i dont dive it unless i travel , but i use an oms iq pack and #94 oms bladder, works perfectly

Scrapdizzy - if you're interested in trying a bp with Diverite Venture wing while on Maui I'll be happy to let you try my loaner rig - you can even pick if you want to try it rigged HOG or with Quick Releases. fwiw - I tried the QR version today, and while it will be alot easier for adjusting between folks borrowing it, it was less comfortable as I couldn't quite get it adjusted as precisely as my regular HOG harness is (but that took several dives to get just right.)

Aloha, Tim

PerroneFord:
Therefore, I suggest that you try a variety of BCs in the water, before you decide what you really want.

What method would you suggest to do this before purchasing a BC? Most stores I know of wont let you test out a brand new BC in water.

scrapdizzy:
What method would you suggest to do this before purchasing a BC? Most stores I know of wont let you test out a brand new BC in water.

Any store that has a pool should let you try it. If they don't have a pool, then maybe you could head out with them on an OW pool day and try it then. If they don't let you try it, then it's time to go to another store.

Or...you could take up any or all of the offers made here in this thread.

kidspot:
Scrapdizzy - if you're interested in trying a bp with Diverite Venture wing while on Maui I'll be happy to let you try my loaner rig - you can even pick if you want to try it rigged HOG or with Quick Releases. fwiw - I tried the QR version today, and while it will be alot easier for adjusting between folks borrowing it, it was less comfortable as I couldn't quite get it adjusted as precisely as my regular HOG harness is (but that took several dives to get just right.)

Aloha, Tim

YOu would be an allstar to let me try that!!

I will go ahead down to the Dive Center this week and actually ask if I can dive in the BC's to test them out, I had no idea that was doable but I will try and see. The people at this place were really cool. Its Ocean Planet in Tempe, AZ.

The shops in my area (which is a very competitive region) to the best of my knowledge all only allow you to test equipment *after* you purchase it. Then, if you don't like it, you can return it. Several shops have their own pool, so that's not the issue. But if you want to get something wet, even fins, you put out the $$$ first.

Back
Top Bottom