OK, what size is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Alright, to make this about scuba, we'll discuss fins first.

How many sizes are there?

I'll tell you. Depending on the manufacturer, you can get

X-small
small
medium
regular
large
giant
x-large
s-m
m-ml
l-xl

Why is it so difficult? And shoes are no better!
Depending on the shoe, I wear somewhere between an 8 1/2, and an 11 1/2. Hey, I know my feet don't change sizes between shoes, fins, etc, so what's going on here?

No matter where you go, an inch is an inch, and a centimeter is a centimeter, so why can't these people get it together?

(Sorry, but this bugs!)

I think women might have something to do with this (ducking from any flying objects:wink: ). They want size 2 feet and size 1 clothes, but they wear size 9 and 15 respectively, so the manufacturer does a little switcharoo and KAZAAM, my girlfriend wears a size 2. Ok so I'm just poking fun at the ladies, in all seriousness I wish sizing could be universal too but who's gonna regulate, "Sir that glove your company makes a size XXS not XS, get it right or you'll pay." I just don't see it happening.

I know they won't change, I'm just venting. It's weird, though, you'd think that american sizes would be the same, and Euro sizes the same.

(inches and centimeters)

This is for you TJ they are 36B. LOL

They do change sizes for the women and therre is nothing worng with that. I like the idea i can fit a size 5 (depends on the make). But usually i fit nice and snug in a size nine.

My fins are xs, my bc is small, my wertsuit is 9-10.
As long as you try everything on before you buy i dont see there being a problem with sizing differences.

Ana

Johnstrr,

Just FYI, I dont want to fit into a size 2 and dont wish to either...I have problems finding clothes to fit me cuz of ppl who aspire to be a size 2. Most of the popular stores, Acrombie, American Eagle, etc....only make up to the size 14 and the cut is small, which makes it actually a size 10 or so.

I fit fine in the men conversion sizes...shoes, 10 womens, 9 mens a little roomie but still work.

Are we talking about why sizing in the dive industry does not seem to be consistent across manufacturers or why "yesterday's size Large" is now "today's Medium" ?

Just the fact that there is no standard. If a pound is a pound, and a litre is a litre, why isn't a size eight a size eight?

And as far as fins go, what's the differance between large, extra large, L-XL, and giant? (Depending on the manufacturer, I can wear them all.)

The Navy sizes women's uniforms the same way. I don't dare buy one before trying it on, even if the tag says its the same size I have on at the time. Just because they say it is a certain size, doesn't mean it will fit the same as the last one did.

Honestly, I don' think they do it because of or for women. I think they (to include the dive industry) do it to spite us!

I think we are discussing two topics here (which are both issues with dive gear sizing):

1 - The original question (I think): Why isn't a size small hood, fin, etc. of brand X the same size as a small from brand Z?

2 - Off-shoot question: Why don't dive gear sizes match those of "street clothes"?

Then there is the women's sizing issue - which has been confirmed by the clothing industry: A size 8 today is what a size 12 was 15 years ago. This is just so you can continue to wear the same size that you worn in high school even if you are 20 lbs. heavier.

It's part of the "Great Scuba Equipment Manufacturer's Collective Conspiracy" They're watching you!

_____________,,, ^..^ ,,,___________________________

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

No matter where you go, an inch is an inch, and a centimeter is a centimeter, so why can't these people get it together?

(Sorry, but this bugs!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom