Okinawa Dive Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelvinyu73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear all,

just wanted to share some highlights from a recent trip to Okinawa Kerama Islands.

In general, the diving was amazing :D- healthy corals, great visibility (25-30m), and awesome amounts of marine life. On the first day out, a pod of dolphins was spotted around the dive boat, and we had a fun time photgraphing them.

Day 1: 3 dives, on air:

Dive 1: Gishippu / Kamiga: 17m for 35mins
- observed clown triggerfishs, parrotfish, moorish idols, goatfish, nudibranches. Spotted white-tip reefshark under overhangs

Dive 2: Gishippu / Turtle Reef: 19.2m for 26min (cut short dive due to sore throat :shakehead:)
- many many schooling fishes, anemonefishes, parrotfishes.

Dive 3: Zamami / Chishi: 13m for 37mins
- dived in canyon, observed a large lobster in a hole. Very large triggerfishes, threadfin butterflyfishm trumpetfish.

Day 2: 3 dives, on nitrox 32%

Dive 4: Gishipu / Sand Triangle: 22m for 39 mins
- observed turtle, actually foraging for food among corals. Wide diversity of healthy coral, reef fishes like parrotfish, triggerfish, damselfish, angelfish.

Dive 5: Kuroshima / Shark Cave: 19m for 44 mins
- Saw 4 sleeping white-tip sharks among cracks

Dive 6:Kuroshima / Southern part of Shark Cave: 16m for 42 mins
- Saw a large white-tip reef shark (~ 1.8m) hunting among the reef
- observed 3-4 bluefin trevally holding station off reef, and actively hunting the smaller reef fishes :D
- saw small tuna, squid, lionfishes

Lessons learnt:
- still got to control breathing to bring down SAC :dork2:
- still got to improve buoyancy, esp in confined spaces like Chishi, where it got a bit tight :no:

As this was my family's first trip to Okinawa, we tried out 2 operators:

Bluefield: Okinawa Scuba Diving – Dive Shop Bluefield Dive Center Information
Reef Encounters:Okinawa Diving, Japan - Reef Encounters - Japan's Tropical Dive Paradise with World Class Reefs! We are the only international full service dive shop.

I received very good service from both operators. Both of them owned their diving boats, which is a plus. Bluefield has only 1 english-speaking guide, which might be a stretched if the group is large though.

In terms of providing continuation training, Doug would be able to teach courses in English, including technical diving, and i'm looking forward to taking some further courses with him in future.

In summary, I think Okinawa is a relatively unknown destination, compared to the more prominent SE Asian ones, and thus really under-rated. Definitely offers great diving opportunities. For divers based in Shanghai, Seoul, Taiwan and Hong Kong, its a great destination, requiring only a 2+ hrs direct flight.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back soon !!!! :D

Attachments

• P9200150.JPG
    P9200150.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 106
  • P9200151.JPG
    P9200151.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 74
  • P9200152.JPG
    P9200152.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 77
  • P9200153.JPG
    P9200153.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 88
  • P9200164.JPG
    P9200164.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P9200166.JPG
    P9200166.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
  • P9200169.JPG
    P9200169.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P9200174.JPG
    P9200174.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 84
  • P9200175.JPG
    P9200175.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 116
  • P9200210.JPG
    P9200210.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Okinawa is definately a great place to dive. I have been extremely fortunate to be able to live and learn to dive here.

I am going to Okinawa this Sunday and I wonder if anyone has the English translated site to Sunnys Divers in Chatan-cho? All I can find is the Japanese site with Japanese map. I once found a google translate this page by accident for this. Did I print it then? No. If anyone has gone with this dive shop, let me know how it was?

Dive centers: Japan, Dive spots, Diving - HotDive.com This might help. I've passed this shop many times whilst walking along the sea wall. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about them or heard anything good, bad or otherwise but where they are situated is some pretty good diving. I don't know how good viz will be next week, we have a typhoon off our east side that's supposed to pass through here Thursday into Friday. Hopefully the west side of the island will have settled down by then. I expect after the typhoon for the water to cool down a bit too, so a 3mm will probably be in order. Much luck and happy diving!!

I am going to Okinawa this Sunday and I wonder if anyone has the English translated site to Sunnys Divers in Chatan-cho? All I can find is the Japanese site with Japanese map. I once found a google translate this page by accident for this. Did I print it then? No. If anyone has gone with this dive shop, let me know how it was?

We have a storm passing this week but by Sunday the ocean should be divable. If you are staying in the Chatan area we can help you out no problem- we are located right off the seawall. We tentatively have a boat scheduled and of course beach dives headed out on Sunday- will depend on weather. All of our staff speaks English and Japanese so no problem with communication. Sunnys does have one instructor that speaks a bit of English - you could email them from their site for info- she may get back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom