Old but new to SCUBA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend my son and I got PADI OWC. I have waited 40 years for this, having gone through SCUBA at the Seweickley Pennsylvania Y when I was 15. At the time, you could not get a C card for SCUBA at 15, even though they let us take the course. We were given YMCA Skindiver cards and told that when we turned 16 they would issue us SCUBA certification. Well, we moved, SCUBA was lost but not forgotten.

Fast forward 40 years. My son is now 15 and a few weeks ago I asked him if he wanted to do the course. He was enthusiastic and so we did it together. A lot of it was review for me, but we had a great time and I finally got my card!

Our instructor was surprised when I told him that (back in the day) we had to swim down 12' to our equipment that was lying at the bottom of the pool, put it on and then clear the regulator and mask. We also did buddy breathing (no, not with an octopus for alternate air), which PADI pooh-poohs nowadays.

You can tell I am psyched, we had a great time and are looking forward to many dives in the future!

welcome aboard and congratulations on your OW

Congratulations on your revisit and new OW cert, and welcome to Scubaboard!

Oh... and *lots* of old farts on here (including me).

you all very luky i done my open water ,advance some fun dives all in egypt hurgada red sea im british arabic and i find it hard to deal with my instructor he try to touch me under the water when teaching me and an other kiss a girl on the boat ,a lot of stress with the staff after the sea its beautiful the red sea i can get enought.
i will try to change my diving center.
good dive all

Kamilla, maybe a kick in the crotchstrap with a DUI Rock Boot would enlighten your instructor.

Hope you have better luck with another dive shop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom