Old school diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Sam, I knew there was some reason for the cold :)

It is a Sea Tec HC. I picked it up at a flea market for $20 new, still with tags attached. The Hawaiian pack is probably the easiest rig to use, just slip under the hoops and fasten the seatbelt.. no really, it has a seabelt.

I'll read up on Harry. I just finished "Dive to Adventure" by Jack McKenney, a fellow who worked for Skin Diver magazine.

No, Mike Nelson used a single 72 with steel bands and a strap harness, a set of double 38's with a strap harness, and a set of triples also with a strap harness, sometimes all on the same dive!!!
Just like diving with no BC, How did he do that???

... he could do anything the writers put into the script ... what I always wondered was how he could afford to replace all those hoses that got cut every week ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is air in the wing, it is just highly compressed under the ambient pressure. However, "blow a hole" may be a bit misleading. The inner bladder seam split, but I can't say it was due to pressure. It just happened. Did make me consider a dual bladder wing for my really deep dives.

DrBill, how could a BCD Bladder blow a hole at 200fsw ?
Im OW and never been to 200ft but would you even have air in a BCD at that depth?
If so I wouldn't think one would have much at all, and then the water pressure would blow the bladder? A bladder that's not stressed from over expansion from the air inside?

Thanks Sam, I knew there was some reason for the cold :)

It is a Sea Tec HC. I picked it up at a flea market for $20 new, still with tags attached.

The Hawaiian pack is probably the easiest rig to use, just slip under the hoops and fasten the seatbelt.. no really, it has a seabelt.

I'll read up on Harry. I just finished "Dive to Adventure" by Jack McKenney, a fellow who worked for Skin Diver magazine.

It is a Sea Tec HC. I picked it up at a flea market for $20 new, still with tags attached.
What a bargain ! What caliber gun did you hold tot the seller's head? Sea Tec was the pioneer safety vest, PFD, BC well designed and well made. Harry and Sea Tec inflatable Systems developed the double bag concept and held the patent on the design for many years.
I was a consultant to Harry and Sea Tec inflatable Systems almost from day one. I would test pre production models and often equip my class with production models as a test bed It was the company policy to make very rugged units that would last a life time. Your unit verifies Harry's policy

I'll read up on Harry.
You and others would be wise to do so. Not as famous as JYC but he contributed much to the comfort and advancement of diving

I just finished "Dive to Adventure" by Jack McKenney, a fellow who worked for Skin Diver magazine

I knew Jack well we often chatted and socialized often while he was at SDM. Sadly Jack has been gone for some time.

His son John took his place in the diving world and has retied locally. Now we see each other often and share the podium at the annual CenCal diving conference. John speaks on UW photography, I on Dive History, son Sam IV who is an ER/Scrips trained Hyperbaric doc on Dive medicine, plus a number of others. You have an open invite to attend

Jack gave me the book and inscribed it to me as One of the "old warriors of the diving world" I then had his son John inscribe the book and since I gave his grand son Jackson some of my children's out grown equipment including a Sea Tec BC I had Jackson also scribble a message. Certainly one of a Kind.

Just as you Dale are one of a kind

SDM

Like ancient tribes returning from a successful hunt they stood in small groups, wrapped in surplus WWII olive drab army or navy blue blankets, shivering and blue lipped from the cold of the water and the chill in the air. Roaring bonfires fed by WWII surplus tires added much needed warmth as it belched fourth thick heavy black smoke into the clean crisp smog free Orange County air.

The start of smog in Orange County.

... he could do anything the writers put into the script ... what I always wondered was how he could afford to replace all those hoses that got cut every week ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Or when a scuba unit fell over the side and sank, he just went "Oh well" and shrugged it off.
It seemed like he always had about three full rigs ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom