Old Scubapro regulator identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first ever reg was a Mk III High Performance (a later version with the high pressure yoke and 3 LP ports bought new in 1985). I made a few hundred dives with it and I still own it. It stays serviced and ready for use although it does not actually see much use anymore since my son moved up to a Mk 10.

They are great regs though and utterly reliable. The downside is their relatively limited flow rate (about 45-50 cfm if I remember correctly) and the consequent potential to outbreathe them if working hard at depth.

I also own an early version of the Mk III (late 60's) as well as another late 80's Mk III and an early production Mk 2. They are great regs on pony or deco bottles as they are lightweight and small in size.

I saw a new in the box Mk V Adjustable in the LDS on Saturday. It's an older model with the low pressure yoke and 2 LP ports. I am going to try to talk the owner out of it on Tuesday. He plans to update it with a turret and sell it for use, but I think it would be worth more in it's original conditon as a collector piece.

mitrax once bubbled...
I would like to know which model this old Scubapro is. It has 1 HP and 2 LP ports. Second stage has number 080752. It is possible and/or worth to repair it?

TIA for your comments.

Why don't you drop scubapro an email with this question and picture?

I'm not a scubapro guru but it's obviously an old unbalanced piston style. Useful for the pool or a pony perhaps but you don't want to take it deep. I have one something like it from US divers from the early 70's. Yours looks like a mid 70's design with a new style yoke swivel collar. Your yoke collar is thicker than I would expect for a reg of that age so it's probably not original or else the reg is newer than I think it is. I'm guessing 1978.

To answer your question it's possible to repair it. I'ts a really simple design. Piston, spring, shim plastic HP seat and (probably) 2 O-rings. The hardest thing about repairing it will be finding an HP seat that will fit. Maybe ask Scubapro for a part number.

The 2nd stage is probably a run-of-the-mill single adjustment downstream design. You might have more trouble getting parts for the 2nd stage than for the 1st stage. If the main diaphragm is in good shape than reuse it. Same goes for the exhaust valve. The LP seat should be replaced if you can find a new one that will fit. You'll have to take it apart and see how big it is. Again, a good question for Scubapro.

And another thing to keep in mind is that the HP port proabaly has the same bore as the LP ports. YOu'll need an adapter if you want to use it with a modern Spg. I'm not sure if you can still buy such adaptors but they were common once so you''ll probably be able to find one if you ask around.

R..

Seats for Mk III's are still available and the diaphragm and exhaust valves are the same as the ones used in the G250. the IP seat in the second stage is also a very standard rubber disc and is still available.

You can get an adapter to use a 7/16ths SPG in the 3/8ths HP port. You may also still be able to get one of the add on fittings that SP soled to allow another two LP ports. It screws into one port and hangs off the side of the reg offering 3 more ports. They are not what you would call pretty but would work.

This is kind of overkill for an old reg though, it would be best used on a pony or on an argon bottle where the number of LP ports is really not a limitation.

if he needs it.

I have no use for it - its in good condition. PM me if you'd like it - I'd let it go right cheap (gotta pay for the shipping cost, but that's pretty much it.)

Some of the earlier MK2/3s use a HP seat which is crimped in the piston and cannot be replaced separately - you replace the whole piston to replace the seat. I've heard, but have not confirmed, that these pistons are not available anymore. However, the HP seats in most NBPs are very long lived so its not something to lose sleep over.

While we are indentifying old SPs, though, I thought you all might like to see another old one from my junk box.

The filler yoke next to it came on an old 1970's vintage Bauer Utilus I just bought, however the same yoke is still made today. Haven't checked yet to see if parts will interchange, but they sure look similar.

Oxy,
Isn't the one on the right a SCUBAPRO MARK VI? I just had mine serviced and looking forward to diving it. Still can't find anyone to service my PILOT.

Mel B:)

Are you wanting to restore it as a Pilot? They can be overhauled so that the internals are replaced with D-400 parts. I talked with a repair tec about that. He says that he's familar with the Pilot, and he has a repair manual with an exploded diagram of it, but he swore up and down that the parts were no longer available. Performance-wise, how would a restored Pilot compare to a D-400?

I have never encountered a mk III with the seat crimped into the piston but I have found a few that would not blow out with compressed air (there is a small bleed hole under the seat and through the wall of the piston to allow air pressur eot be used t force the seat out.) and that had to be dug out.

I have what I always thought to be an early MK II, but after reading this thread I wonder if it instead is a MK III, mainly based upon the port count.

My first stage has only 3 LP ports. Were there MKIIs made with 3 LP ports? From reading the other postings on this thread, it sounds like it must be a more recent version of the MK III. I purchased this in approx. 1986, and it was new old stock at the time.

Another physical characteristic - the ambient chamber has smaller holes, and is flat - not rounded as the MKIII photos I have always seen.

So I guess in a nutshell here is my question: during early to mid-80s production, while the MKII and the MKIII were both in production (according to the thread, they were) how could one distinguish between the MKII and the MKIII?

I have a MK II parts kit coming to annual this reg. Are the parts interchangable?

POSTSCRIPT - After writing the above I called SP tech support and asked them for help. What I have is a MKII. The telltale sign is the ambient chamber - flat on the bottom of a MKII, and rounded on a MK III.

MKIII was in production 64-88. Change over from MK II to MKII+ was in 2000.

The MKIII was not a repackaged MKII, rather it was a downsized MKII, with smaller parts - smaller piston, springs, and flow rate.

Thought you all would like to know!

Well guess what. I was misled by Scubapro Tech support and I do IN FACT have a Mark III. The later Mark IIIs did have a flat cap on them and when I ordered a Mark II piston to replace it did not come close to fitting. After much of this and that if finally has come down to being a Mark III.

Back
Top Bottom