Old valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro showed in their catalogs, valves with some kind of pressure indicator as early as 1962, but you can tell that the 1962 to 1964 catalogs are showing more of an artistic concept. The pressure indicator was also shown on the front of the valve in those sketches.

This particular valve with that exact handle and almost the exact valve showed up in the 1965 catalog. The only difference with what the catalog shows is the arrangement of the pressure numbers, but the rest of the valve is exactly as shown in the 1965 catalog.

We don’t have a 1966 scanned Scubapro catalog, therefore I don’t know if it was still there.

In 1967 the valves changed to the style that I am very familiar with since it was unchanged all the way through the 70’s and into the early 80’s. This Scubapro valves had the pressure indicator that read: F, 1/2, E (for Full, half, and Empty).

The reserve version of the 1967 valve had the adjustable reserve (either 300 psi or 600 psi). In the catalogs it read: “This allows the user to pre-select a 300 psi reserve for regular diving or a 600 psi reserve for repetitive dives, cave diving or other diving where an elongated reserve is advantageous.”

Cave diving with a J valve… I am not making this up. I don’t remember ever reading that portion of the earlier catalogs before. Great stuff.

The only change to these valves is in 1972 when Scubapro introduced the DCAR (Depth Compensated Adjustable Reserve) valve. This reserve mechanism could not only b adjusted from 300 to 600 psi, but it also had a small hole on the top that allowed the water pressure to push on the reserve piston to increase the reserve pressure, making it of 300 or 600 above ambient.

I have a couple of those DCAR valves and will always consider them some of the most interesting valves. A lot of thought went into the design of those valves. They had a lot of innovation.

Oh yeah, and at least in the 1972 catalog their reserve valve was still considered suitable for cave diving.

A few of notes:

Pressure gauges were around since before any of this valves were introduced and they were almost standard equipment in the 70’s.

Scubapro offered pressure gauges in their first 1962 catalog.

Scubapro never made a regulator without a pressure port, they also only made single hose regulators.

As Bob mentioned, the indicator was never intended to replace a SPG (submersible pressure gauge, or also know as a Sea View Gauge). It was just a pressure indicator for surface use only.

The fact that it is only shown with numbers in the 1965 catalog leads me to believe that they learned real quick how inaccurate that indicator was.

BTW, Scubapro also offered a type of SPG (at the end of a hose) that had protruding bar indicating pressure. I think the diver might have been able to touch it or could view it. It is in some of the 60’s catalogs and I have seen pictures of it.

All the catalogs that I am referring about are available for download from VintageDoublehose .com

I was quite sure you were incorrect about pressure gages being made for SP that early. I had thought that Sportways first introduced them and that it was much later than 1962, (I've been wrong before).

Thanks Luis.

As a point of interest, do you have any idea of when the HP ports and SPGs changed from 3/8 to 7/16 fittings? I have a reg from around '80 that still used the 3/8 HP port, but I wouldn't presume that the change had not started earlier.

Bob

In the 1971 Sportways catalog, they show every regulator (single hose and double hose) with a “Sea-Vue” gauge.

We have an older scanned catalog that also shows the “Sea-Vue” gauge, but I can’t tell what year catalog.

I know the “Sea-Vue” gauge was introduced in the 50’s, but I don’t know exactly what year. I think it was mid 50’s or just a bit later.

Sportways normally gets the credit for introducing the Sea-Vue gauge, but I have seen other SPG that look to be from about the same time period, in some European double hose regulators.

The 7/16” port did not start showing up until the 80’s, but I don’t know for sure when. I believe there was a transition period.

I may have been mistaken about the port size. I'll check it next time I have it apart.

I still use my old Sea Vue. Here is a pic of a friend learning how to use a DH (my DAAM) with a lp hose coming off the hookah port and the Sea Vue off the tank hp port

12507616_10153498154794833_3009872816230821537_n.jpg

As a point of interest, do you have any idea of when the HP ports and SPGs changed from 3/8 to 7/16 fittings? I have a reg from around '80 that still used the 3/8 HP port, but I wouldn't presume that the change had not started earlier.

I had a Dacor Aero with a 350 first stage that was purchased new in 1985. It had the 3/8" HP port and I still have the adapter for it.

P1301067.JPG

Thank you all for the advice. Based on Luis H's assertion that there's a bushing, I disassembled the valve again and applied JB-80, let it sit, and worked the area with a brass probe. Eventually I got a small brass bushing out, and cleaned it up. The O-ring matches one that I had on hand -- I think it's the usual size for the LPI valve spool. I reassembled everything but won't be able to test it under pressure until the tank goes to hydro and back.

Your LDS should have a valve test stands. It is just an adapter that allows you to quickly pressurize the valve like if it was installed on a tank. Its saves a lot of time and air to be able to test a valve this way.

It also allows you to easily check if there are any leaks, even very small leaks that are hard to detect.

You can always find a leak by submerging the valve , but it is a bit of a pain if you have to waste tank fill.

I have one of those valve test stands and will be glad to check your valve, but the cost of shipping both ways may be more than what your LDS may charge you, if anything. It should not take them but a moment to test it.

If you zoom to the left of the picture, next to the large HP gauge, you will see my valve test stand.

The same valve test stand is here just behind the corrugated black hose.

Just when I think I'm making headway on my workbench, you have to post that.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom