Older Divers - Perceptions of the Youthful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken

He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In response to a question in another forum regarding the age of divers, a question popped into my head: "How do younger divers (< 40 yrs. old) perceive older divers?"

For all of you under 40, what do you think when you see divers on the boat or shore that are 50, 60 or 70 years old?

the K

I think it's a good sign that I'll be diving for another 50 years. Makes me glad to have a hobby I won't have to give up as I get older.

A

Amen to that, Aaron

I'm not under 40, but at 41, I am in the lower range of what you're calling "older divers".

I personally love to see older folks who exercise, are fit and active. My wife works at a fitness center and I'm there working out 3-5 days a week. There are folks in their 60s who can easily keep up with me, and I'm in pretty good shape. But then I also see 30 year olds on the street who couldn't run a mile if their lives literally depended on it. Heck, make that 200 yards. It's very depressing to see.

To me it's not about age, it's about health, fitness and zest for life. I would have no problem at all diving with someone in their 60s or 70s if they were fit and experienced. I'd actually relish it because I know that, most likely, they'd have alot more diving experience than I do and would be able to teach me a great deal.

Glad thoughts are more positive in diving than on the aggressive skating board I am on. They hate old guys. Me being 51 is ancient to them

fookisan

The Kraken:
In response to a question in another forum regarding the age of divers, a question popped into my head: "How do younger divers (< 40 yrs. old) perceive older divers?"

For all of you under 40, what do you think when you see divers on the boat or shore that are 50, 60 or 70 years old?

the K
I am 37.

I frequently dive with people in their 40's, 50's, 60's and even older, since I AM diving in Florida

One of the best photographers I dive with is in his 60's... He's a great diver. His SAC is probably around .3 or so... He does 2 60 minute 60' deep dives off of one steel 120. He also taught me how to dive dry.

I would also say that there are some less skilled divers in that age group as well. It's probably the same curve of skilled to less-skilled divers as you would see in any age group.

Personally, I don't think anything of older people diving or starting to dive. When we shore dive from our apartment building (which is probably 80% retirees... we're like spring chickens here) many people ask us all kinds of questions when we come out. Some people sound like they have genuine interest... I would guess that if I put a sign up sheet in the mail room for a course (if someone offered it) there would be a few interested parties.

So to sum it up... no difference between young or old diver (at least here in FL) IMO.

I think.. "Get these old fogies off the boat to make room for us young whipper snappers. I'm sick of smelling ben gay. I can tell those depends aren't for drysuit use too!"

LOL, I'm just kidding. Please don't flog me too hard with the surgical tubing.

I always think it is pretty cool. My first thoughts are me hoping I will be able to dive that long. :D Then I usually walk over, drum up a conversation, and see if I can pick their brain for knowledge. Of course I have met a few older divers that were newly certified, not all of them have been diving for ages. I met a couple that were in their early 70's that had just gotten certified and loved it. I thought that was really cool. They kept making jokes about nitrox being geezer gas. I said.. "If it's geezer gas, then call me a geezer because I prefer nitrox."

Matt

The Kraken:

the K

Who are you calling OLDER here? Huh? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom