older steel 72 rated at 2250 psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LP72s are my favorite tanks for local diving, which around here is shallow. 26lbs dry weight and neutral when empty, what's not to like about them? $50 is a fair price to pay for them.

---------- Post added December 13th, 2014 at 09:05 AM ----------

Be careful, some of these are lined tanks, some are not, if it's lined they basically have to be sand blasted out which is a major pita.

This is simply not true. Lined tanks can be hydro tested and vis inspected just like any other scuba tank as long as the coating is in good shape. If the lining is damaged or bubbled, then it has to be removed, which is done by tumbling, and that does take a lot of tumbling.

26lbs dry weight and neutral when empty

i am looking for a low cost option for dedicated side mount tanks and these types were suggested in another thread. so all this info is very much appreciated. sounds like this is what i will do. they will give me a slimmer profile than the lp77 worthingtons i have been using from our rental stock, smaller and heavier than an aluminum option, but still gives me enough gas for just about any diving i will be doing here

This is simply not true. Lined tanks can be hydro tested and vis inspected just like any other scuba tank as long as the coating is in good shape. If the lining is damaged or bubbled, then it has to be removed, which is done by tumbling, and that does take a lot of tumbling.

The key phase here is good shape. If the lining is damaged and/or bubbled and there are any signs of corrosion then you must remove every bit of the liner so there is no chance of hidden corrosion or scrap them. The amount of tumbling is pain in butt. I gave two lp72s to a member for his inspection class.

I need the extra weight of steel, and they don't get butt-light.

just what i wanna hear. thx just have to pick up new D.I.N. valves as the ones here have the old J valves on them

Wow! I just saw this thread and I am picking up the same kind for $20. I was looking to see if it was worth dealing with. I am taking my tools so I can take off the valve and look in it, needs hydro anyway. Glad I saw this thread

I had fifteen 72s in my garage at one point. I sold them for ten dollars each. I made quite a few dives with 72s but was interested in more bottom time. I eventually moved to larger tanks and doubles.

they will give me a slimmer profile than the lp77 worthingtons i have been using from our rental stock, smaller and heavier than an aluminum option,

The slim profile (6.9") is really nice. As far as carry weight goes, they're about 5 lbs lighter than an AL80, and about 4lbs less positive in the water. So overall you save about 9 lbs of on-land weight when fully geared up. That part is fantastic for local shore dives.

I know the lining doesn't have to be removed, but I've never seen one that didn't have to be removed....

Ditto. I love the tanks, but I wouldn't even take one for free if it was lined. Or had 1/2 inch threads.

Back
Top Bottom