Olympus Don't Swim - help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Those of you who were there will probably remember when my brand new Olympus 8080 flooded in Anilao on the very first dive.:sad:

At the time, I was too pissed off to really wonder about how it had happened, but having found out that there’s no way my insurance is paying out, I decided last night that I should sell all my old Oly kit to help pay for the DSLR bits and bobs I’ll need.

If you know the set-up, the port containing the lens is removable (it’s very large and makes packing easier). Anyway, when I got to Anilao, I unpacked the housing in two parts, removed, cleaned and re-greased both o-rings (housing + port), installed the camera and did a 1 minute water immersion test in the sea by the boat prior to going to the dive site. All this carried out with out hitch.

The camera flooded immediately on hitting the water. Prior to that, I can stake my life that it suffered no knocks, was not re-opened and was passed down to me in the water by hand rather than me just jumping in with it. After flooding, the camera was then removed and (un-repairable) dumped.

The housing was then rinsed in fresh water and left with the port still attached to dry before being stowed away in my gear, packed safely, but still assembled.

While taking out the camera, the o-ring at the housing was fine and I could not work out the leak’s source, a visual check confirmed that both port clips were closed and o-ring ok. Note – I did not remove the port at this point.

Basically I was mystified, but determined not to beat myself up over something that couldn’t be fixed or mess up anyone else's day, so I did not go on about it.

Either way, last night I took the housing out of the cardboard box with padding that I used to transport it back (lens port intact) from Anilao (via Tubattaha :D ) for the first time since it happened. As I unclipped one of the two port clips, the lens port dropped off onto my bed. A bit odd, I thought – the other clip should have held it in place…I know that I never undid it.

The other clip WAS clipped on! Clipped on to a bit of plastic that formerly was part of the camera housing and had at some point broken off.

Now I’m prepared to swear on any amount of bibles that this could never have broken on the boat as a result of impact (there wasn’t any), and as it was still worth money, I made a point of packing it very carefully to bring it back to HK (in hand luggage only BTW), so I can be virtually certain it did not happen there either.

As the housing did not just leak gently, but was completely flooded in about 30 seconds while still shallow, a pinched o-ring would be unlikely. If, the housing itself was broken around the clip point, the speed of flooding would make more sense.

Long story short, I’m as sure as I can possibly be that this is one of those rare times when the user was actually NOT at fault.

So what do I do? Any similar experiences, anyone?

Sorry to hear, but as I said before, that port system on the Oly 8080 really turned me off when I was looking for a P&S camera.

I'd ring up the local Oly distributor and see if you can wrangle something out of it. Maybe if you could plead your case without threatening bodily harm, they might symphathize with you. Also, do a search on other uw photography websites (wetpixel/ digideep/etc to see if others have had similiar problems with that housing (to strengthen any argument of a defective design...) Best of luck

shugar:
hmmm... sue oly for damages? if you had pix it would be easier to discern the damage

Jag

Sue the Bangkero! just kiddin...:wink: it's just the American in me coming out... Sue Sue Sue!

shugar:
why you selling the canon setup?

Jag

So I can eat something other than cup of noodles now that I spent all my money on a DSLR and lenses...

edit: oh and back to the original thread. Larry, check out this old post by our own Kim... maybe he can remember what stories he heard about that housing...

http://74.52.40.173/showpost.php?p=579347&postcount=11

Hmmmm.

Kim, if you're still talking to me :), did you ever hear anything bad about the housing?

BTW, reckon I will try to contact Olympus - gotta be worth a try, after all, I do have witnesses to most of what i described earlier, don't I guys? Guys? GUYS?????

I flooded a PT-023 on it's 4 dive and I know exactly why. Operator error!!! I know what I did and won't do it again. I have about 40 dives on the replacement. No problems. A lot of people here dive PT-023 housings without a hitch.

It's a little hard to follow the sequence of events you laid out but maybe one of the two port latches was not completely engaged. It does take both to hold it in place.

Aside from that... we bought the cheapest housing for our camera's right? We get what we pay for?

Back
Top Bottom