Olympus Don't Swim - help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry, thanks for the pics... That's what exactly spooked me when I was looking at the 8080 last year. That flimsy Oly port connection just looked like it was asking to be broken...

alcina:
Sorry for your loss! I am having a big year on replacing gear so I know your pain!

Do you know how the lug got broken off? Seems like...umm...maybe not the design I would choose for a housing! Make sure to let Oly know - maybe they can at least improve things with newer models. My trusty 5050 PT015 doesn't have any fancy stuff like lugs on it and I like it just fine!

BTW - why won't insurance pay out? Who do you use? DEPP would pay that I would think...

I didn't bother getting 'proper' insurance (didn't think of it, really), this was just travel insurance.

As for how the lug broke, just read my original post. It was 100% intact 20 minutes before the dive and was never subjected to any impact. My best guess is that there was a hairline crack that I never noticed, that spread when I increased the pressure on it by putting the clip on.

If I'm right, it's definitely a housing problem. If something else brought it on, I'm completely at a loss as to what it was. I'll be in touch with Olympus this week and let you all know what they say.

So you checked the lugs before the dive? I didn't see that in the first post, sorry! Thanks for clarifying it for me...I "collect" stories of what happens and I like all the nitty gritty!

That really suckaroonies - hope Oly has something positive to say! Shame your insurance didn't!

Back
Top Bottom