Olympus Don't Swim - help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,

I too dived it without issue for 4 holidays. I know how to put it together safely etc. If you looked down on the housing, holding it normally, the right side lug had broken off, but still held in place by the clip. i.e. the clip was fastened.

Don't follow your logic about "buying on the cheap and expect what's coming" - it still cost US$250 and it broke, wrecking a new camera.

To clarify, the first 8080 I had died thanks to me. The repacement (this one) was mollycoddled beyond belief.

ocrmaster:
thepurplehammerhead

so sorry to hear that your 8080 got flooded.

Thanks, orc.

clgsamson:
maybe you can try to sell it to HWSNBNITPTletter..letter..more letters...eh Larry? or hawk it to some poor bashstard over at the TST.

Any particular poor bashtard at TST? It would have to be a complete imbecile to buy a broken bit of equipment. Hang on! I think I've got it!:D

thepurplehammerhead:
Kim, if you're still talking to me :), did you ever hear anything bad about the housing?
Afraid i don't know anything about that housing. There's been a few threads in the photo section on the 8080 and housing. Maybe you should ask the folks in there.

The OLY housings have been a constant challenge for our guys too. The only thing we figured out is that the craftmanship is not the best.......I'll leave it at that.

Babydamulag:
The OLY housings have been a constant challenge for our guys too. The only thing we figured out is that the craftmanship is not the best.......I'll leave it at that.

This is the port clip

OlympusPT0230121.jpg

This is an intact lug

OlympusPT023012.jpg

This is where it broke

OlympusPT0230124.jpg

And this is the broken lug itself

OlympusPT0230123.jpg

Whoops, double post...

Sorry about your lost, thanks for posting the pictures. I have two PT-023s, the first one I'll cement the flat port to the housing with the orings in place so I would not need to worry about the port latches.

I'am also bolting an SS strap to the front metal red port ring and securing it to the bottom and one on the top of the camera housing for added support. The second PT-023, am looking for an Athena dome port to machine then cement and strap to the housing as well.

The prices of the Olympus housings were so cheap, instead of swapping out different ports, I'll just swap out the entire housing/port combo. If I had bought the Ikelite housing their dome port alone cost as much as the Olympus housing and flat port combine.

Good Luck on your next camera.

Sorry for your loss! I am having a big year on replacing gear so I know your pain!

Do you know how the lug got broken off? Seems like...umm...maybe not the design I would choose for a housing! Make sure to let Oly know - maybe they can at least improve things with newer models. My trusty 5050 PT015 doesn't have any fancy stuff like lugs on it and I like it just fine!

BTW - why won't insurance pay out? Who do you use? DEPP would pay that I would think...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom