Olympus OM-D Video at Bunaken Lembeh.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brorsan65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.
First week whit the new camera. First videoediting ever.

The video is only cut, there is no filters, no nothing done to the videocuts.

Camera: OM-D. kitlens 12-50, Nauticam housing.
Light: Whitebalans or I-Torch4 video pro (1).

Bunaken/Lembeh 2013 - YouTube
Martin

You got some really nice footage particularly when you consider you were using a new camera. You avoided the dreaded look-down shots. I used to edit video using analog equipment and it took forever. No doubt putting together a 15 minute video took you a number of hours as well. The editing was smooth with no jump edits or edits where you crossed the line both of which can be quite disconcerting to the viewer. I might make a couple of constructive comments. First, there were very few long or medium shots (followed by medium or close up shots which move by about 30degrees from the previous shots so there are no jump edits). Without these longer shots it is very difficult for the viewer to get any perspective particularly if they are non-divers. For example, when you jump from large fish to nudibranchs a non-diver will have no idea how big the nudibranchs are. Second, some of the scenes are a little long. A series of medium and close up shots (less than 30 seconds and the set up shots can be much shorter), IMO, are more effective than a single scene using the zoom control. As a diver I was happy to watch a 15 minutes video but most people will have a shorter attention span. I now try and keep my videos between 5 and 10 minutes. Two videos shown half an hour apart (after a beer) seem to go over better with most audiences. There a number of books on how to shoot underwater video and even the old ones, when we used 8mm and Hi-8 tapes, contain the same tips on shooting video. Any of them are worth a read.

However, my comments are really nitpicking and the video was very interesting. Looks like you had a fabulous trip with lots of little critters. My favourite scene was the Moray with the cleaning shrimp. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
cool video, cool stuff, greatly put together. Congrats. Who did you dive with and dive sites can you share please? Thank you

You got some really nice footage particularly when you consider you were using a new camera. You avoided the dreaded look-down shots. I used to edit video using analog equipment and it took forever. No doubt putting together a 15 minute video took you a number of hours as well. The editing was smooth with no jump edits or edits where you crossed the line both of which can be quite disconcerting to the viewer. I might make a couple of constructive comments. First, there were very few long or medium shots (followed by medium or close up shots which move by about 30degrees from the previous shots so there are no jump edits). Without these longer shots it is very difficult for the viewer to get any perspective particularly if they are non-divers. For example, when you jump from large fish to nudibranchs a non-diver will have no idea how big the nudibranchs are. Second, some of the scenes are a little long. A series of medium and close up shots (less than 30 seconds and the set up shots can be much shorter), IMO, are more effective than a single scene using the zoom control. As a diver I was happy to watch a 15 minutes video but most people will have a shorter attention span. I now try and keep my videos between 5 and 10 minutes. Two videos shown half an hour apart (after a beer) seem to go over better with most audiences. There a number of books on how to shoot underwater video and even the old ones, when we used 8mm and Hi-8 tapes, contain the same tips on shooting video. Any of them are worth a read.

However, my comments are really nitpicking and the video was very interesting. Looks like you had a fabulous trip with lots of little critters. My favourite scene was the Moray with the cleaning shrimp. Keep up the good work.

Nitpicking is god, makes you better, yes?
I agree to everything above. I lerned a lot when i edit/cuting this video. I went to Lembeh to take pictures so the video is only taken when i dident have something to take pictures of. I noticed that a lot of my video was to short or to long to cut in a proper way. Many nondivers keep on asking how big is that and how bis is..... so yes, i hav learned that lesson as well.
So my advice is cut your own videos because you learn alot.
Q: Any advice for a decent video shooting/editing book?

The walls/reef is from Bunaken. (Except for the swimthru, its Angels window in Lembeh) I stayed whit "Two fish" a smoth operator, no problems, nice dives, but i dont think i will be back to Bunaken. To many diveoperators and i like muckdiving.

Lembeh...long live Lembeh..... Here i stayed at "Divers lodge". One boat and one guide. YES this is paradise. I was in Lembeh for 8 days, diving 3-5 dives a day, every dive between 60-80min. Often very shallow. Whit one guide....its......paradise. You just dive in your own pace, NICE.
If you like muckdiving Lembeh is a must.

Martin

I have always used Jim Church's Guide to Underwater Video which was published in 1994. In terms of shooting techniques and the results you want from editing it is excellent. However, it is old and pre-digital. I also have Steven Fish's High Definition Underwater Video which is a decent book. He also has an editing book both of which are available from Kobo books and from www.backscatter.com. There are some older books as well. I suspect that you may be able to find some online tutorials at some of the camera dealers' sites.

Nice video and I am very pleased but not for reasons you might think. I own an Olympus OM-D with several lenses but that is NOT my diving camera. In the official reviews about the only criticism of the camera was that it lagged behind full DSLRs for shooting video. Maybe that is true but I certainly could find no fault with its video capability myself. Now you have shown how good it is underwater as well.

Nice video and I am very pleased but not for reasons you might think. I own an Olympus OM-D with several lenses but that is NOT my diving camera. In the official reviews about the only criticism of the camera was that it lagged behind full DSLRs for shooting video. Maybe that is true but I certainly could find no fault with its video capability myself. Now you have shown how good it is underwater as well.

If i compare how the video is on youtube and when i look at in "directly" on my computer i think it is lagging. The camera in Video mode is better than you see.

The reason why i put this video up for show is that i had a harde time to find a UW- video whit the EM-5.
Hopefully this helps somone too chose the right camera.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom