Olympus PT-E06 housing and E-620 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have agonized about the Pt-e06 oly e620 set up vs canon T1i (others)

I went oly knowing the "upgrade'" paths was limited but
The total purchase price was more than the max I could afford but my costs worked out ~$700 less than a Canon setup.
My entire kit - ports lens camera strobe fits in a Think Tank antidote and is under 15lbs and I fly everywhere
The oly Pt-e06 works well with the fibre optic cables for my Inon strobe
Currently all the underwater lens and ports I want are available from Olympus / Athena

Will the 4/3 camera system be around in 10 yrs - I don't know but, I know the picture quality over my P/S Canon A630 is miles apart.

On land my wife's Nikon d90 takes better photos but its the size of a tank and she wouldn't dream of letting me dive with it.

If you are looking for the housing for the E-620, I have noticed it at a discounted price in places on the Internet.

We are a dual family. My wife shoots Olympus (E-330 & E-620 in Oly housings) and I shoot Nikon (D-300 in a seatool housing). My view.

The equivilent to a Nikon D300/D-90 Canon 40D/50D is the Olympus E-3. However the E-620 is quite good. The LONE complaint my wife has is that changing the F/stop is a two button process. The Nikon has controls for both. The Oly shares the lone wheel requiring holding down one button while rotating the wheel.

There is no problem with the Olympus housings. They are designed for the specific camera (unlike Ikelite) and are compact, light and sturdy. I am NOT a fan of the Oly strobes, however and suggest Inon fibre optic controlled strobes with built in sTTL. Much simpler.

Oly does have an excellent compound lens, the 14-54 and a flat port that is large enough that the port does not restrict the view at 14mm.

A photographer graduating from a point-and-shoot should NOT underestimate this. You can get decent macro at 54mm and semi-wide angle at 14mm. The lens makes the Olympus E series act like a 5050/5060/7070/8080 Olympus p&S except no shutter lag using the viewfinder and minimum shutter lag using live view (Note. In reality the shutter lag is caused by the autofocus. [the e-330 does not have shutter lag]), no delay writing in raw and all-round better pictures.

Professional photographers and serious amatures go into the water intending to take a certain type of shot. Amatures want to take a shot of anything cool. A P&S user will be fustrated with either a 7/14 wide angle or 50mm macro. They are both great lenses BUT you will not get shots you want about 1/2 the time because you have the wrong lens mounted.

If you are looking for the housing for the E-620, I have noticed it at a discounted price in places on the Internet.

Do you see it anywhere for less than $900? If so please provide a link.

This is a great series of posts. People asked why Olympus, vs Nikon or Canon? Does Olympus have the support? The answer is they are all great camera systems, with good support. I am a long time user of Nikon topside and Olympus P+S underwater. I don't think there is an obvious right choice. It depends on what's important to you. But I'll offer my thoughts.

What about reliability? Olympus always have been well regarded in underwater P+S housings, from the revolutionary C5050 of 2002 to the current FE-360, which is the current best low end P+S on the market. Personally I've used Olympus P+S for years down to 40 meters and a little lower and never had a leak. Olympus has a lot of experience in making systems for underwater, and the PT-E06 seems to distill that into a great housing design. Nothing is perfect, but I'm confident that the PT-E06 will be a reliable housing at recreational diving depths.

What about cost? An Olympus system seems to be lower priced initially, by say 10-20%. However, when you look at a complete system over its life cycle, the cost advantage of Olympus is reduced. Olympus 4/3 system lenses are good but expensive, for instance. Trade in value for used Olympus gear is lower than for Canon or Nikon, in my experience. The net cost advantage of a system might be 10-20% if you buy new today, but the long term system cost might be similar to Nikon or Canon. So, I'm not seeing a great cost advantage long term.

If you already prefer Nikon or Canon, and have an investment in them, it makes sense to go with them underwater. Personally, I am very impressed with the reviews of the Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17mm combo for underwater, and I already use the D90 topside with an array of lenses. You'd think I would automatically prefer Nikon.

But -- the compact size of the Olympus housing is very attractive to me. Size matters! I dive in Asia and have to carry the gear, and the size of a big Nikon outfit is daunting to me, both in the airplane and underwater. I've seen plenty of divers with jumbo systems in my travels, with gear from all over the world. They often got great results, but I did not envy them carrying that load around. So as a traveler, the Olympus system looks good to me.

I do have some concerns about possibly slower focus speed vs Nikon D90. Honestly the D90 is amazingly fast in that regard. I love it. But I generally use a focus light underwater, so I really wonder if that is an issue. I think not, based on other comments above. I think I will go with the Olympus system, and see how it goes.

I got my housing in this week. Now I need to get my hands on a body, and fiber cables to my Inon's and I am set!

Anybody want to buy a E420, PT-EO3, Heinrich bulkhead and dual Nikonis TTL Cables????

I was so confused about the port options, I made this table. Unfortunately, the formatting from Word is lost.
Anyway, you need to be careful to order the right zoom ring for certain lenses, hope this makes it clear.

Olympus 4/3 Camera Housing Ports
Olympus Lens Olympus Port Zoom Gear Olympus Extension Ring Comments

8mm Fisheye lens PPO-E04 Dome PPZR-E05* None *Zoom ring optional, must buy

35mm macro lens PPO-E01 PPZR-E04* None *cannot use PPZR-E01 provided with PPO-E01, must use PPZR-E04

Macro extender -- -- PER-E01 For 1:1 macro with 35mm macro lens

50mm Macro PPO-E03 PPZR-E01 Athena Port 50 PTE has 67mm threads

1.4x TC (EC-14) PER-E01 No zoom or manual focus possible

7-14mm PPO-E04 Dome PPZR-E03 PER-E02 Zoom ring provided with PER-E02

9-18mm PPO-E04 Dome PPZR-E07* *Zoom ring optional . Athena Dome Port/Gear 9-18

11-22mm PPO-E02 PPZR-E02
12-60mm -- -- -- Athena Pro 12-60MF

14-42mm PPO-E05 PPZR-E06

14-45mm PPO-E01 PPZR-E01

14-54mm PPO-E02 PPZR-E02

18 months ago I moved from a Nikon system including all the lenses to an Olympus for two reasons.

1. Size and convenience.

2. Cost.

When moving to a DSLR the options and total cost that you are commiting to is very vague. I have had a SLR in an Aquatica housing for 20 years and thought it would be a simple choice ie find what Nikon body I wanted then add the housing and I would be on my way.

Phil Rudin was very kind and helpful in answering my questions regarding this system.

The final choice of an Olympus only became obvious when I saw a Nikon D80 in an Aquatica housing and compared weight and size then added up the costs.

To buy an end of line D80 was about $1100, the Aquatica was roughly $3000 excluding any lenses. I bought the Olympus E-520, housing, E05 port which holds the 14-42 and the 50 macro, a 50mm macro lens off ebay but near new and the total spend was $2500. Since then I have replaced my flashes with SnS new/near new ones but am still not up to the cost for a obsolete D80 and an Aquatica housing.

I am very happy with the Olympus system it is simple, compact and light and produces great images. Frankly I struggle to see any difference in quality between Canon, Nikon and Olympus at this level of camera. Both the attached images are around 50k each and still are holding good detail at least this rank '25 years of trying' amateur thinks so.

Attachments

• Flatworm04 65k.jpg
    Flatworm04 65k.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Rhinopias.jpg
    Rhinopias.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom