Olympus PT-E06 housing and E-620 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this the only thing I would add is that the 50mm macro fits and works well inside of the PPO-EO5 port.

I was so confused about the port options, I made this table. ..Anyway, you need to be careful to order the right zoom ring for certain lenses, hope this makes it clear.
AHA, I see you can post attachments in PDF format. Duhh.. Here is a repost in more readable form.

Attachments

• Olympus Ports and Lenses.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 186
18 months ago I moved from a Nikon system including all the lenses to an Olympus for two reasons.

1. Size and convenience.

2. Cost.

When moving to a DSLR the options and total cost that you are commiting to is very vague. I ... thought it would be a simple choice ie find what Nikon body I wanted then add the housing and I would be on my way....

The final choice of an Olympus only became obvious when I saw a Nikon D80 in an Aquatica housing and compared weight and size then added up the costs.
I am very happy with the Olympus system it is simple, compact and light and produces great images. ...
I too tried to figure out what an Olympus 4/3 housing system would cost, not the camera or lenses, just the housing PTE-06 with ports etc. Went crazy trying to juggle the numbers in my head. So, being a nerd, I made a spreadsheet for two systems with slightly different options (Oly flat port vs Athena dome port), which I post as an attachment.

Since this is a spreadsheet, you can download it and modify it for different lenses, ports, costs and so on. For example, you could use just one flat port for both the 14-42mm lens and 50mm macro lens, saving quite a bit. It's flexible. You can add the cost of camera body and lenses if you want a full system cost. I left the cost of camera and lenses out -- this is just for the housing and two ports. I put in costs that were the lowest I could find at the time, realizing this is a moving target. Perhaps this is useful to someone.

Attachments

• Olympus 4.3 UW Housing Parts and Costs.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 168
To all,

Excellent and well thought out responses. I own an E-620 and love it. It does not support video, however. So if that's important to you, then its not the camera of choice. My 620 fits well in my Iklite housing. I was going to use the Olympus but I wanted the dual sync cord not the fiber optic cords. Also, I like the DS 160 strobes better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom