OMD EM5 mode cap came off...again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys I phoned Olympus locally and asked how they reattached them and they said they use a japanese glue called Super X. I bought some on line and it is excellent fixed my dial and also holding a handle on a drawer that was impossible to repair. Very strong stuff and you get 5 mins before it sets off.

I had a mode button pop off before, and still hadn't figured what I wanted to do to get it fixed, because my camera is now out of warranty. I just ordered some of the super x from ebay - we'll see how it goes!

You always should have some super glue in your medical supplies kit for serious cuts (and for gluing olympus dials back on of course.
Bill

You always should have some super glue in your medical supplies kit for serious cuts (and for gluing olympus dials back on of course.
Bill

Bill are you joking about superglue for cuts?

---------- Post added September 1st, 2015 at 08:27 PM ----------

I had a mode button pop off before, and still hadn't figured what I wanted to do to get it fixed, because my camera is now out of warranty. I just ordered some of the super x from ebay - we'll see how it goes!

HI TotDoc - use it same as superglue just a very small amount. It also can trail if applied from the tube, if that makes sense so just put a couple of dots on with a matchstick as once it has gone off that is it!

It's the strongest glue I have ever used.

Superglue for cuts is wonderful stuff, often used in surgery (google Dermabond). The only real difference is that Dermabond is certified sterile, superglue works great.
Bill

Superglue for cuts is wonderful stuff, often used in surgery (google Dermabond). The only real difference is that Dermabond is certified sterile, superglue works great.
Bill

Well Bill, I'll be double stuffed! and I thought I knew everything!!!! Just goes to show you never can tell....according to Chuck Berry!

Bill
The other big difference is that the medical stuff is pH balanced so it doesn't damage tissues. Some glues are downright toxic to disrupted skin. Aside from being very painful, it can actually lead to increased swelling, scarring, and difficulty with wound healing. Oh...and application of strong glues over an area before it's been cleaned properly massively increases your chances of locking in bacteria that cause infection. This is particularly bad for marine cuts that often involve bacteria that don't like oxygen (anaerobes). Even with the medical grade stuff, best to know what you are doing before slathering something on an open wound!

I am not sure that Dermabond at least has any pH buffering. According to Ethicon it is 80% 2-octo-cyanoacrylate and 20% hydrocarbon solvent. There is an initiator at the tip but not at all clear that the pH is adjusted, other acrylates for surgery might be. And of course, TotDoc is right, stay away from this stuff if you don't know what you are doing, but used correctly can significantly improve wound healing.
Bill

I am not sure that Dermabond at least has any pH buffering. According to Ethicon it is 80% 2-octo-cyanoacrylate and 20% hydrocarbon solvent. There is an initiator at the tip but not at all clear that the pH is adjusted, other acrylates for surgery might be. And of course, TotDoc is right, stay away from this stuff if you don't know what you are doing, but used correctly can significantly improve wound healing.
Bill

Hi Bill/TotDoc have you or anyone you know used this stuff? My partner sliced off a part of her finger a couple of months ago lost a lot of blood and passed out. I could not stop the bleeding with bandages and compression.

Hi Bill/TotDoc have you or anyone you know used this stuff? My partner sliced off a part of her finger a couple of months ago lost a lot of blood and passed out. I could not stop the bleeding with bandages and compression.
Sorry for the late reply...didn't get a notification about this post. Anyway, I have used dermabond quite a bit, but it's really not a good choice for what you described for several reasons. It's really only designed to function like liquid stitches, to be used for superficial closure of outer layers of otherwise intact skin. All it does is holds skin together in an a position that allows it to heal. It's not really designed to work as a skin replacement in the case of avulsion injuries, and it really doesn't have any clotting properties that would help stop blood loss from an amputation or avulsion type injury. Your best friend there is direct pressure on the wound to get the bleeding to stop, then a dressing over the wound once the bleeding is controlled. Even in the case of deep lacerations with lots of bleeding, when I put in stitches, a deeper layer is needed to control bleeding. That's the surgical version of applying pressure to the wound. Simply closing up the skin over heavily bleeding wounds doesn't fix the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom