OMD EM5 mode cap came off...again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bit off topic (or was it back on topic ;-) You guys who break off your mode button - is that in Nauticam houings?

In my case, yes, Nauticam. The control wheel inside the housing applies a lateral force on the mode cap. I don't know how the Olympus housing is designed...

On the Oly housing, the contact rubber pad that is spring loaded to transfer the rotary motion of that control knob is really stiff. Mine was anyway. If I press in on it and let it snap back a few times before loading the camera in the housing it works much easier. Since it presses on the main control mode dial (in my case) the entire time and it has extra force from being sticky it seems to cause some main mode dial caps like mine to pop loose. Two popped caps later I realized I was going to forget that bit of wisdom from time to time.

An earlier thread mentioning the popped cap problem for EM-5s mentioned a particular kind of cement by Cemedine Co. out of Japan called Super X, which seems to offer hope:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Audsred
Thanks for the info - will give it a try - it is not the mode dial it is the dial on the back and right of the flash. Thanks again

From ARDY (Thanks!/ww) Hi I too have been there as well. Same dial BTW, I phoned Olympus and asked what they use to reattach them and after the normal 'we need to look at it to decide' stuff he recommended some special glue called super X. Could not buy it in Australia but I ordered a small amount from ebay (japan) for about $20 and it is really good stuff. Mine came loose in Bali on a dive trip and it was super glued back in place but came loose again in the housing.

When I ordered the cement via eBay it took over a month out of Japan. Have not dove w/ the cameras yet since the big fix but the cap seems quite solid. The deal on the cement is this. It sets up tacky like rubber cement and has enough initial viscosity to not spread like most non-gel super glues. The adherence factor to various surfaces seems exceptional.

My wife's uw i-Pod ear buds had their rubber ear pieces come loose. Soft rubber to hard plastic but they have stayed on uw while doing lap swims and having to grease them up w/ vaseline to seal in her ear. If you wait a few minutes to bond, the pieces are nice and tacky, don't need to be clamped and some re-positioning is possible. Wisnu possibly this cement would work for what you are up against if nothing else would. It's ability to bond to varying surfaces with equal adhesion is impressive.

The last good news is the bond is flexible, not brittle like most super-glues. Aside from availability hassles there is little info available unless Japanese is understood. There is info available on their website in English but it is limited. Oh and for non-metric types the 130g size is toothpaste tube size so I now have a several life-times supply. They do offer a smaller size! // ww

On the Oly housing, the contact rubber pad that is spring loaded to transfer the rotary motion of that control knob is really stiff. Mine was anyway. If I press in on it and let it snap back a few times before loading the camera in the housing it works much easier. Since it presses on the main control mode dial (in my case) the entire time and it has extra force from being sticky it seems to cause some main mode dial caps like mine to pop loose. Two popped caps later I realized I was going to forget that bit of wisdom from time to time. An earlier thread mentioning the popped cap problem for EM-5s mentioned a particular kind of cement by Cemedine Co. out of Japan called Super X, which seems to offer hope:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Audsred Thanks for the info - will give it a try - it is not the mode dial it is the dial on the back and right of the flash. Thanks again
From ARDY (Thanks!/ww) Hi I too have been there as well. Same dial BTW, I phoned Olympus and asked what they use to reattach them and after the normal 'we need to look at it to decide' stuff he recommended some special glue called super X. Could not buy it in Australia but I ordered a small amount from ebay (japan) for about $20 and it is really good stuff. Mine came loose in Bali on a dive trip and it was super glued back in place but came loose again in the housing. When I ordered the cement via eBay it took over a month out of Japan. Have not dove w/ the cameras yet since the big fix but the cap seems quite solid. The deal on the cement is this. It sets up tacky like rubber cement and has enough initial viscosity to not spread like most non-gel super glues. The adherence factor to various surfaces seems exceptional. My wife's uw i-Pod ear buds had their rubber ear pieces come loose. Soft rubber to hard plastic but they have stayed on uw while doing lap swims and having to grease them up w/ vaseline to seal in her ear. If you wait a few minutes to bond, the pieces are nice and tacky, don't need to be clamped and some re-positioning is possible. Wisnu possibly this cement would work for what you are up against if nothing else would. It's ability to bond to varying surfaces with equal adhesion is impressive. The last good news is the bond is flexible, not brittle like most super-glues. Aside from availability hassles there is little info available unless Japanese is understood. There is info available on their website in English but it is limited. Oh and for non-metric types the 130g size is toothpaste tube size so I now have a several life-times supply. They do offer a smaller size! // ww

I am glad as sometimes you recommend something and others don't find it the same as you. It is excellent stuff and I will always have a tube around and I'll take it on dive trips. The other thing about the stuff is - bought mine in Feb this year and it is still useable and has not gone hard near the cap like other glues tend to do. My tube is 20ml and that is ample for a couple of years at least. 130 you would be leaving it in your will!

I run a nauticam housing, but that wasn't where my button snapped off. Mine popped off in a bag while traveling. I didn't think anything particularly rough happened to the bag, as it was inside my carry on, but apparently it bounced around just enough during my trip to pop the dial off.

I have an E-PL5 in a Nauticam housing and the selection cap has come off twice so far. Local camera repair shop has fixed it twice for me at no cost. Second time, they put a little bit more glue. Hawaii being in Feb, I will attempt to get some of that glue just in case...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom