OMS & Halcyon - Can't we just get along..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok thanks! I actually haven't tried the Secure Harness of Halcyon yet... LDS doesn't have it in stock. But if it's comfy enough with just a t-shirt on...then I should be fine.

I'm just exploring all options before buying. LDS OMS dealer will not claim that Halcyon wings fit their BC... Buy at your own risk, they said...

And LDS Halcyon dealer is horrified at the thought of bastardizing a Halcyon MC System! :lol:

Sad that the LDS should play such games. Are you in Manila or somewhere else? The first shop to help me string a harness was TechAsia in Puerto Galera. It's not hard, but it does help to have someone show you how the first time, especially making sure the straps twist the right way into the lower slots.

Alan

Personally, I think anyone who would put an Air2 on a Halcyon wing needs to be examined, but hey - your life, your gear.

I also think JJ or GI3 may visit you in the middle of the night and offer you up as a sacrifice to the DIR gods.

:lol: see what I mean? :lol:

I honestly don't see what's so wrong with the Air2 and other inflator combo units. I'd actually prefer having an Air2 AND an octo... for triple redundancy.

I think DIR is good for professionals... kinda like F1... no stereo, no aircon, no airbags, just a really really great car. For the rest of us... a few deviations here and there wouldn't hurt... otherwise, everyone diving jacket style BCs would be dead.

jplacson once bubbled...
:lol: see what I mean? :lol:

I honestly don't see what's so wrong with the Air2 and other inflator combo units. I'd actually prefer having an Air2 AND an octo... for triple redundancy.

I think DIR is good for professionals... kinda like F1... no stereo, no aircon, no airbags, just a really really great car. For the rest of us... a few deviations here and there wouldn't hurt... otherwise, everyone diving jacket style BCs would be dead.

You've obviously never tried a bp/wing :wink:

BTW, there's really no concievable way you'd need three regulators.

If your primary fails, go to your backup.
If your backup fails, go to your buddy's octo.
If your buddy's octo fails, buddy breathe.

If you try to throw "if your backup fails, go to your other backup" in there, you're adding a step that will *probably not work anyway* since if both of your second stages aren't delivering air, the third probably won't either. This would add to the panic situation and add more OOA time for you.

It's an unnecessary complication that serves no purpose.

As for the Air2 itself, if nothing else, it forces a change in your normal ascent habits during a period of stress. With a bungeed backup, you hand off your primary, put your backup in your mouth, then proceed with your everyday ascent procedures. With the Air2, you need to change things since your inflator is *in your mouth* and you're not nearly as practiced at the new method as the normal method.

No I haven't... I'm on the market for one actually... which is why I noticed how DIR divers are... my local Halcyon dealer was more than amused at the thought of an Air2... and the thought of mating an OMS IQ pack to a Halcyon bladder.

Meanwhile, the OMS dealer was washing his hands off the possibility that his IQ pack could or couldn't accept a Halcyon bladder.

It didn't sound like a hard-sell sales pitch...more like a Halcyon vs. OMS war... neither side wants to acknowledge that the other brand is just as good.

Now, I like the IQ pack... I've tried it... I haven't tried the Halcyon's yet since they don't have any in stock... but I've read on these boards that SOME people find the raw webbing kinda painful specially with thin wetsuits. This is a concern for me since I only dive a 2.5mm.

So I wanted to get an IQ pack, and mate it with a Pioneer 27 wing. I'd go with OMS all the way if they had a 27 or 30 bladder that was O and not U-shaped. I've had times where I get air trapped unless I'm vertical...so the O-shape bladder of Halcyon makes more sense.

Re: the Air2... aren't the chances of a regular octo failing just the same as the Air2 failing? Wouldn't a shoulder dump address the problems of deflating while ascending? :confused:

a buddy of mine installed the airII on his halcyon 36# wing. he only took off the halcyon inflator and attached the air II. no need to replace the entire inflator hose unless of course you prefer the longer hoses by other manufacturers.
if you insist on a 45# wing i would not get the halcyon. even halcyon sees it only fit for very limited diving scenarios. i'd rather get the oxycheque 45# which seems to have a more clever design for adding the extra lift without increasing drag and affecting trim too much.

Back
Top Bottom