OMS Watch and Basic Watch Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Citizen Aqualand Duplex titanium. I LOVE it. It's a good back up for my puter. It keeps water temp, Dive start and stop times, avg depth and temp. I changed the runnber band for a Trident velcro. Works much better, easier to use. I also wear it as an every day watch.

Casio G-shock...

For timing your deco stops, you want something with seconds. I know that the Uwatec/ OMS bottom timers do NOT have seconds, so dont work that well when you are trying to time your stops. (dont know when the minute actually started, cant time very accurately).

The G-shock you can find online for like $40... Don't get anything fancy, just something that will work and is "water resistant to 200 meters" which actually means that when you touch the buttons under water they wont compress, and be useless which happens on the 100 meter watches.

dmdalton once bubbled...
For a dive watch it is hard to beat the Timex Ironman 200M . Be sure to get the 200 meter not the 100 meter.

Dave D

Score to date...ocean 2, Timex Ironman watches 0
Definitely don't go with the 50 meter.;-0

Used the Citizen Aqualand Duplex for years, first in steel, then in Titanium. As long as thick gloves don't cover the sensors they work well. Only gripe I have is the lack of good night visibility, digital display is neither luminous nor lit. Still have both and use them on occasion, but switched to a DiveRite Nitek Plus as back-up. Larger display, backlit, and yes, it's a computer. As for watch only, no depth display, I like the (fairly expensive) Luminox watches, with screw-in crown. Tritium is easy to see UW, and bezel has one too. Dove it for the heck of it for one summer, stood up well.

how do you like the nitek plus?? is it easy to read uw?? thats the one thats a watch, kinda looks like a mosquito?? did you buy that online??

thanks for any help,
buck

That's the one, looks a lot like the Mosquito.
I like it a lot. All the numbers are easy to read, especially the important ones.
Their descriptions, however, are rediculously small. Wich kinda sucks since you got several screens of data. But that's a problem all computer watches share. A couple of dives, though, and you know it by heart. Backlighting is great. Buttons are easy to use with 5mm gloves.
Log functions have a wealth of data, records every 15 sec. and can be viewed without PC (that was important to me as I use Macintosh). The same with all other settings. Can be worn as a watch (albeit not a particular good looking one, I think). Finally, it comes with Dive Rites excellent customer service, which just can't be beat. That in and by itself is a reason for be to buy their stuff whenever possible. In this case it was a no-brainer, I got it at DEMA for an introductory price that still makes me flush.
If you want to check the exact specs and limits, go to the Download Area on Dive Rite's website and download the manual. www.diverite.com

I think the price is the only thing stopping me,,, I found it for around $420 online,,,,, and my local dive shop sells it for 5. I demoed one of their 905 dry suits and it was great,,, so if thats any indication of what their other products are like ,, good good.... again thanks for the info

buck

I have a Citizen Aqualand. It is an analog watch with a small LCD screen on the top with time, date and timer. When you put it in dive mode, it shows depth, BT, and also has a programmable depth alarm. I got mine at my LDS for $250 at the end of the model year. Although that was 6 years ago. I wear it daily and use it for a backup timing device for diving. The only downside is battery changes. Expensive and the watch is at the shop for a couple weeks. I also use one of the Waterborne straps on it. A friend of mine like my watch so much he had to have one. So he had it for a month or so with the regular rubber strap. It caught on his harness, the pin snapped and his watch fell into about 5 feet of silt and muck. We never did recover it.

Back
Top Bottom