On Kauai 6/10-6/16 need help/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also.. looks like everywhere except the west shore is going to get pummeled through the weekend :( So I would suggest watching the forecasts and making backup plans, as I suspect some Ni'ihau trips June 10-13 will probably get cancelled.

Of course locals will have a much better idea about conditions than I ever will... but it looks like my buddy and I will be diving between Waimea and the end of the 50 (towards and past Mana Crack) for the first 2-3 days as it looks like that's the only place not getting 6-9' swells :)

:confused: I think you meant 6"-9". Face height for a 9" swell would be ~1.5' :idk:

I just typed "Kauai surf f" into yahoo search, then clicked on the first option (forecast), and below are the first two hits. Seems wind will be the only possible issue for Ni'ihau through 6/12 and shore diving should be a go except afternoon in windward locations (NE facing).

kauaiexplorer.com:
OCEAN REPORT DISCUSSION
More great beach weather. Generally small surf surf making for great swimming / snorkeling around Kauai. Conditions will be calmer in the AM; high tide and localized winds will be slightly rougher in the afternoon. Use caution - esp when unfamiliar & help is a long way away. Recommended lifeguarded beaches: Lydgate, Salt Pond, Hanalei Bay, Haena, Kee, Poipu, Kekaha, Kealia.

Outlook to Sat June 12: No significant swells
updated: Jun 07, 2010 6:37AM

LIFEGUARD SURF OBSERVATIONS
Lifeguards report on current ocean conditions daily at 9AM. Lifeguard tower locations correspond to those shown on the surf observations table.

STATION....SURF..........WIND.....VISIBILITY
Haena 1-2 ft. 10-20 kt. good
Hanalei Fl-1 ft. 10-20 kt. good
Kealia 2-4 ft. 10-20 kt. fair
Lydgate 2-4 ft. 10-20 kt. good
Poipu 1-3 ft. 10-20 kt good
Salt Pond 1-2 ft. 10-20 kt. good
Kekaha FL-1 ft. 10-20 kt. good

Please ask lifeguards for best swimming locations.
updated: Jun 07, 2010 6:37AM

NOAA/National Weather Service Forecast:
SURF ZONE FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
700 PM HST SUN JUN 6 2010

OAHU-
700 PM HST SUN JUN 6 2010

Surf along north facing shores will remain 2 feet or less through Monday.

Surf along south facing shores will persist at heights of 1 to 3 feet through Monday.

Surf along east facing shores will continue at heights of 1 to 3 feet through Monday.

Surf along west facing shores will remain 2 feet or less through Monday.

Outlook through Saturday Jun 12: only small background surf is anticipated along all shores.

Surf heights are forecast heights of the face or front of waves. The surf forecast is based on the significant wave height, the average height of the one third largest waves, in the zone of maximum refraction. Some waves may be more than twice as high as the significant wave height. Expect to encounter rip currents in or near any surf zone.

I was only able to squeak out a few dives for this trip, instead of the 3-5 days of diving I usually try to get in...

Just got back from the morning 2-tanker with Fathom Five. Had two great, relaxing dives. Only 5 divers on the boat, which was convenient, but three were on their first ocean dive. New divers but hardcore. They did their final class dive in a lake in Oregon in 37 F water, in 7mm wet suits! (And one of them showed some really good buoyancy for his first ocean dive!)

Turtles all over the place, and all the usual HI fish. 79 F, and about 80 ft viz at the worst.

Oh well, tomorrow it's back to San Diego and some Braille diving and 52 F water. Brrr!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom